Are wood chips considered a no-touch load?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TechD, Jul 14, 2018.

1. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018

That hasn't been my experience at all (with cows that is)...

Every time I've driven or ridden past a dairy or feed lot in the Central Valley of California, I've tried hard to hold my breath as I pass by so as to limit the amount of noxious fumes that are Hovered into my lungs.

When cows stand ankle-deep in their own filth long enough, it takes on a hideous ammonia-like stench that burns the sinus passages and causes an involuntary gag reflex. :confused:

I'm sure you get used to it after a while, but it's still there and is likely being soaked into your clothing, hair and possibly even your skin. And of course when you breath it you're ingesting it into your system.

But who knows... Maybe Oregon cows are cleaner and their poop don't stink. :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old mark

Old mark Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    The aroma at some of the papermills will rival the nastiest feedlots you can imagine.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'm not saying they don't have a distinctive smell, especially if they're stuck in a manure swamp, but if you go in a hog confinement once that's worse. For the most part dairies keep the barns pretty clean because otherwise you have to give the cows a bath before milking.

TechD Thanks this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Truer words have never been posted on this website!

6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I'd say rotten fish is in the top five. Tuna being at the top. Lol

7. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    It looks like Terrain Tamers is getting desperate for drivers. Originally they were saying they'd hire new graduates from trucking schools. Now they're offering to pay for your CDL training (paid scholarships) for new applicants.

Chip hauling must be a really horrible job. In my experience, when a company throws itself at you to get you to work for them, there's a reason they're willing to "help" so much.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Hauling chips a "horrible job"? Not really, unless you're driving junk trucks for peanut wages.
    Most of the chip jobs I've seen were decent in both pay and equipment. It's pretty clean work and you never really have to strain yourself too much.
    A horrible job would be hauling chicken guts in an end dump or dead cows to the rendering plant in an open top box truck or maybe fish scraps from the cannery to the rendering plant in open plastic totes that you tie down with rope.. How 'bout ground up crab shells and pincers to the landfill? Those are "bad jobs".
    But hey, if you think chip hauling is a bad job, then good luck to you.

TechD Thanks this.
  9. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I'm not saying I think it's horrible, I know less than nothing about the industry. I'm just saying that when a company bends over backwards (or offers to pay for your CDL training, like SWIFT does) to get you to work for them, it's often because they can't get anyone to do the work unless then do.

It's a moot point anyway. It looks like I'll be staying in Commiefornia a while longer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.