Are you allowed to have a gun in your truck?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gandrews1967, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I'am a firm believer in ....Don't pull a gun if you ain't got the guts to pull the trigger....what am I gonna do with a fake gun ? Throw it at em?... flash it at em & hope to scare em to death ? Sound's like a good way to get a cap in your ###
    Just saying

Todd_Walker, calnca, lester and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The vast majority of trucking companies that hire company drivers either say nothing or prohibit a firearm in the truck. In EVERY state there is a legal way to TRANSPORT a firearm. Usually that requires something like locking the firearm, and maybe the ammo, in a compartment away from the driving compartment. I think the strictest states require the ammo to be locked in a separate container from the locked firearm. both of which are in a compartment other than the driving compartment. The way some trucks are built, the sidebox is considered part of the driving compartment, and even being locked in an ammo box and a locked firearm box is a violation, I think,. NJ considers it, or did, a violation to possess the most common type of ammo for handguns, hollow-point. I can't remember if it was a felony or a misdemeanor, but it was illegal even to have them in say a car truck even with no firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

I think my home state used to have a strange interpretation of a loaded gun. Say you drive a car and you have a handgun and a full magazine sitting in your car trunk. The magazine was stored in a shoebox on the left side of the truck. The gun was sitting in a shoe box on the right side of the trunk. The fact that the magazine had ammo in it made your gun in the other shoebox a loaded handgun. The fact the magazine with ammo was 5 feet away from the gun was not legally important. They may have since changed that law.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Would seem to me that a fake gun would only make it worse.
    You could instead become proficient in knife skills, and knife throwing. Then keep a few knives in a quick, and easy place to reach. In Canada we are prohibited from carrying hand guns. But everyone I know owns at least 1 long gun, that is all I will say.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Unbelievable. The majority of people who don’t carry learn everything they know about guns from watching DirtyHarry and Rambo.

People, there is only 1 instance where you pull a gun: Your life is in danger. If you or the other person are talking or yelling at each other, guess what? You are NOT in danger.

Pulling a gun, real or fake, to scare someone off will probably get you killed or thrown in jail. Firing a warning shot will get you thrown in jail. Wounding someone will get you jail time, plus a huge lawsuit. So….WSHTF, what should you be prepared to to? KILL OR BE KILLED. If you are talking bear spray or wasp spray, you’re not there yet, you can get arrested all the same. If you get arrested, be prepared for a lawsuit.

And if you go to a jury trial, bet on the jury being comprised of idiots who learned everything they know about guns from watching Dirty Harry and Rambo.

6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I don't carry, although I have in the past. I'm 100% for conceal carry if a person feels the need.

I feel pretty safe pretty much everywhere I drive, but I know there's a chance.

Pamela1990 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. tscottme

Some states have such a strict definition of firearm than having only the half of the gun that touches your hand, no barrel or trigger or ammo, could violate their law. It you used a real gun that had parts stripped from it to make it inactive I think you are in a grey area. If one was to use one of the dummy guns used for various drills or laser target shooting, something that never was a gun, you might be legally safer, but a fake gun is going to only scare away the mildest of troublemaker. A real trouble maker is either going to take it from you and then beat you with it or shoot you with his gun. I wouldn't carry a fake gun. I did bring a pellet gun to work when I worked at a liquor store. The way our store was built, the area behind the cash register was visible from the sidewalk. I prominently set in on a self so anyone looking from the sidewalk could see it but customers could not see it at the cash register. EVERY cop and gun person I asked has said fake guns are going to escalate the situation lightening fast.

TripleSix, JoeyJunk and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  8. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Wasn't aware of that but I quit going to California years ago. But still good info

JC1971 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Have you ever heard the term " There's no such thing as a stupid question"
    Well, you just proved that statement wrong.

Todd_Walker and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. tscottme

He asked a reasonable question even if you don't like it. I don't think it's even the first time it's been asked.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I was making a delivery at LAX(L.A. Airport), before you enter, you go thru a checkpoint, they write down your 411 and “Inspect” your equipment. There was a dirt hauler that closed the terminal entry for commercial traffic, guess what they found in his cab, a “Gun”, all hell broke loose, seemed like a code Red. They had so many police, security and feds surrounding the truck and course the driver in Handcuffs. I ended up returning the load to the yard. I know as a fact that certain military bases don’t allow it, China Lake is one of them, along with any alcohol beverage in the cab. They do a thorough inspection. Like mentioned already, every state is different as well as companies where you pick up and deliver.

tow614 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.