Are you embarassed to be a truck driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by duckdiver, May 10, 2012.

1. eastbound & down

eastbound & down Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    LA,CA
    :biggrin_25521:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Really...I hate that, I dump it in the windshield wash water bucket at the fuel island........just kidding :D

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I can understand the preference for slack over jeans when driving. I've found that the back of my lap doesn't hurt after a long day of driving when I wear my kahkis instead of jeans.

As far as being embarrassed to be a truck driver, no. Embarrassed to see some of the people who claim to be truck drivers, oh yeah! Flipflop wearing, filthy (both in hygeine and language) scumballs wandering around the customer's lot screaming and raising heck over little things...you all know the ones I mean. We see them all the time!

Whenever people ask me what I do for a living, I own up to my current job. If they ask any further, I tell them I used to drive truck.

Of course, I just got hired by a small carrier located not too far from the house, so I guess my current job would be truck driver, wouldn't it? Or would it be college student, since I'm still in school and have no intention of quitting? Screw it, I'm a trucking student! Maybe I should change my info-box?

5. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    Embarrassed NO and if i was i wouldn't be here..

This career has enabled me to move my family out of the city and buy a nice house with land, and my kids don't go to day care anymore and i get a week off every month you can do alot with that time

if your embarrassed maybe you shouldn't be here or give it a change with an open mind

6. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    There is nothing wrong with an honest job.

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  7. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA

Speaking of this, I was at the J in Casper last night and this truck pulls in and parks 100 feet from the door ( bathroom is just inside the door) he gets out and goes to the passenger side of his truck and pisses on the ground WTF really that is embarrassing

8. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not embarrassed to be a driver. It's an honest living and can sometimes yield up to 4 times the amount of money per week I used to earn working for 8 bucks an hour in the hot sun washing cars at the PHX airport.

9. bknight

bknight Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    Stanley, ND
    I think it can depend on what your spouse does. Mine is in her fourth year of medical school. We actually had a conversation about me feeling a little odd when she has class mates at our condo and they all want to know what I do. In a room full of future doctors, it can be a little intimidating but then I remember that cude haulers make six figures, we live fantastic and we are both happy. Screw anyone who has a problem with it.

10. leyana

leyana Bobtail Member

May 12, 2012
    Portage
    A lot of times, how people interpret an exchange has a lot more to do with their personal insecurities than what the other person is feeling.

So let me get this straight. You're chatting up a girl, you tell her you're a truck-driver, she suddenly looks disinterested, and you think it's because she's ashamed of your job or that you're low class?

I would disagree with your interpretation on that one entirely. Please remember that I can't speak for all of womankind, but I think there are a LOT of reasons a woman, especially one looking for commitment, might not be interested in a truck driver, and the biggest one is HANDS DOWN that you WON'T BE HOME.

Do you have any idea how hard it is when your man is away, and you don't know what's going on or when he'll be home? He could be a soldier, a fireman, a trucker, a police officer, a doctor, a salesman -- it doesn't matter. If you LOVE someone, having them walk outside the door for weeks at a time and knowing that your life will always be like that is CRUSHING. It takes a very unique and independent woman to be fine with a relationship in which the other half just isn't plain there ninety-yes, ninety- percent of the time. I honestly think it's EASIER on the drivers, and my trucker agrees. You don't understand what it's like to be the one at home, worrying that he's okay and that he's eating right and that he's getting enough sleep and that some idiot doesn't cut him off and kill him. You go out on the road with your dog and your truck, work hard, and have some adventures. Your woman, meanwhile, is left behind. Every. Single. Time. And while, yes, she should get out there and "live her life" so to speak, there are limitations on that. She can't just up and move or something. She can't work on building a true life, because once she goes far enough on that limb, she's built her whole life without you, and that won't work either.

A few months ago, I was at work (daycare) and I lifted something heavy and slipped and wound up injuring a disk in my back. I spent MONTHS being unable to do something as simple as laundry or stand and walk for more than ten minutes. Grocery shopping was out of the question, as was cooking, cleaning, hell -- EVERYTHING. I have never been so disabled in my life. My man was away this whole time, which meant that I went through the entire painful ordeal alone. I would have given ANYTHING for him to be there with me in this time, but he had to work. Please understand: I'm not ######## about the injury or about his job. I'm explaining that a woman has expectations of the relationship, that you are a partnership, and that you will be there, in person, when things get rough and when she needs you. As a trucker, sometimes -- you just can't. Life is going to happen, and she's going to have to deal with all of your accounts, properties, issues, and loved ones without you. It isn't easy. She's going to have to be a masterful accountant, a smart investor, a great household manager, and probably still employed because while you may make more than a McJob, it alone probably isn't enough for most lifestyles.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that truckers are bad or shouldn't get love. I love my own with all my heart. But when we talked about it and decided he would get on this truck, my FIRST sentence was, "I'm going with you." I am not the kind of woman that can have an entire relationship seeing someone once a month or even once a week, and if I wasn't already in love with him, I don't think I would have decided to date a trucker. The waiting and the distance is just too hard for me. If that makes me weak, then so be it.

So, in short, I wouldn't be so quick to judge her. There is nothing wrong with wanting a full, meaningful relationship with a partner that can be there and pull their weight in the harness in person. And since you can't give her that, you're going to have to find other ways to show her you love her and you can be there for her -- or just take her with you, IF she can go. I write, so I can go pretty much anywhere and keep doing what I love. If I trained dogs or taught school? Not so much.

11. bknight

bknight Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    Stanley, ND
    Well put and I agree. We have had plenty of practice, we started dating before my second deployment and then I ended up being stationed on the east coast with her living in Alaska. I admire the hell out of her for her strength and dedication. It takesma rare breed of woman for sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.