Area transportation

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Sep 2, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Anybody ever work for area transportation, out of portage indiana?

Ive talked to a couple of their drivers up at the roll and hold steel place where they run out of and they seem happy. Im just wondering if anybody on here has worked for them?

They claim to pay 27-32% of linehaul. That seems above average for most flatbed companies. Ive been thinking about putting in an app with them. Its just hard to know what id be making . 27-32% of what ?

I know they run 9 and 10 axle setup with their conestogas. And they have extendables as well, and regular 5 axles setups. All steel products they haul.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_2019-09-02-21-18-26.png

jamespmack, cke and JonJon78 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Same thing. I talk to them, but being an o/o, I talk with the o/o instead of company drivers.

(You can't) Roll (because we) Hold (you up) provides a lot of time to talk with other drivers!

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Funny, I usually roll right through Roll and Hold.

In all honesty, I rarely get held up at any steel mill. And if I do, it's usually due to some TMC idiot, not the mill itself. Or its GaryWorks picking up a cheap crap raw steel coil.

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I drive by areas terminal in Chesterton off hwy 49 all the time. The trucks they have all look good. The few Google reviews they have are good...

I loaded coils next to them at the Cleveland port once... Both drivers had coil bags... I'd say that's a plus for a company driver to be supplied with them if your going to be hauling a good amount of coils...

Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I knew some owner ops there about 15 years ago. Things got slow and they left. But never heard one complain about the company.

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    I used to trip lease to them once in a while 30 years ago. Lol

8. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I hauled for them in Indy years ago when they had a roll and hold here taking stuff to go stamping plan. Their checks cashed and were on time.

jamespmack, D.Tibbitt and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I sniffed at the weights talk.

is it 48000 pounds or not? The next two or three lines soothing talk about increase.. wtf is that? anyone?

Nothing prevents suicide and lost coils except a careful driver and good securement. Even then you might have a dead driver.

I try to stay out of the high stress mills as a rule. I don't like being treated when I show up as if they are about to fairy wand me the last coil on earth and they want it perfect when the towmotor heaves it out of half mud and half puddle.

I generally do well running Aluminum. Logan Ky To Busch Williamsburg daily comes to mind.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But ask yourself this.

Is the grass REALLY greener opposite the fence?

stayinback Thanks this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    US steel Gary has come a long way getting you in and out, better than it was in the 70s and 80s.....youd be there all day,same with ltv steel in east chicago,drivers show up at 3am in 1982 watching the sky lit up from the molten steel....10 hours later,they got their slab or coil.,

TripleSix, brsims and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Gary works isn't quite THAT bad, bit it's pretty bad. Especially for a US Steel mill. Irvin works, Fairless Hills, or Granite City, its load and boogie on out. 90 minutes with an open deck and tarp, 45 minutes with a conestoga or side kit.

Gary Works is a two to three hour ordeal waiting for those idiots to get their collective heads out of their collective arses!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.