Arky's Sunoco adventure begins in the west TX oilfields!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Arky, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Chibob

Chibob Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    They can say what they want, but I guarantee it's all about the money.

If Jimmy Hoffa was still alive none of this would be happening. None of it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RSQ Diver

RSQ Diver Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    San Angelo, Texas
    Texas does not recognize the background check done by the TSA. They have their own system of checks. I don't understand it either. I'm pretty certain they get their info from the same agencies. A national system would make much more sense, but then again we are dealing with government agencies and common sense is not a department.

4. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Apparently certain states don't fully participate in the TSA program. Texas is one of them. Or something like that.

BTW, I just got my TWIC Card this morning up in Baltimore. I found out something very interesting and important for those of you that are doing this on a budget.

I asked them about the background check for the Hazmat and the discount you get when you get both a Hazmat and a TWIC Card. Apparently, if you get the Hazmat and then get the TWIC Card, you get a nice discount, as they don't have to do the background check twice. But if you get your TWIC first, then there is no such discount. I asked the clerk why that was, and she had no answer.

I thought I was going to get ahead of the game by getting the TWIC, and I did, but now it's going to cost me the full price for the Hazmat. Good thing I'm made of freaking money (/sarcasm).

So, if you want to save money, get the Hazmat first, then apply for the TWIC. I think it will save you like $60 bucks or something. The unfortunate side effect is that it may take longer to get hired.

Sorry to mini-hijack the thread. You may now return to your regularly scheduled forums. ;)

5. dupop2

dupop2 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    House springs mo
    Thanks for the answers guys! I'm leaving for San Antonio on Friday to start my career in the oilfield and was just wondering about the hazmat stuff. Sounds like a money grab to me. Unfortunately I guess you have to spend money to make money.

6. glenn71

Jul 13, 2013
    Well Texas is a pay-for-services, or a pay-as-you-go state, since we have no state income tax. While doing it that way may seem like a hassle, you will probably find that in Texas the beaureaucratic stuff seems to get done pretty quickly. They get you in and get you out and move on to the next person. No waiting in line for 4-5 hours like some states. You do have to do your licensing and registration in two different places (DMV and your county tax assessor), but it's not all that bad.

Once you are in the system, you can renew everything on line when necessary. Basically the only time you have to visit after that is to register new vehicles.

That's just my experience since moving here severyal years ago. YMMV.

7. Chibob

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    That might be true in Maryland but not in Missouri. I asked. I got my Hazmat first, then applied for a twic and asked about the discount and they said no. I have heard about these discounts before. It must depend on which state you are in.

8. glenn71

Jul 13, 2013
    I dunno, but I know there is a discount off you get both. You just have to do then in the right order. Probably a Texas thing. Maybe it's my case too. I got my TWIC in MD, but that's only because I'm up here working right now. I live in Texas, but don't work there. Yet.

9. dupop2

dupop2 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    House springs mo
    I got a discount on my twic card and I'm from Missouri. I had my hazmat first then got my twic. It was 126 bucks before and with the discount it was like 105 if I remember correctly. Not a whole lot but 20 bucks is 20 bucks no matter how you shake it.

10. Chibob

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    Where did you get your TWIC? I had to go to Granite City, IL. I paid the $129.

11. dupop2

dupop2 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    House springs mo
    Granite city. And you are correct. It was 129 but ended up only paying 105 because of the discount.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.