Arky's Sunoco adventure begins in the west TX oilfields!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Arky, Jul 11, 2013.

1. chud3

chud3 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Can anyone tell me if they got an advance with sunoco after orientation to help with expenses? If so, how long after did you get it? Where was your orientation location? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cyborgt800

cyborgt800 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    From what I heard it was two weeks later...$1,100.

I am fresh out of CDL school so I won't get mine until two weeks after becoming an actual Sunoco employee!

It's very tough trying to survive school, the long hire time then 30 days of being a temp before getting on as an actual employee...THEN getting an advance and actually start making a commission... Over all I have been without a paycheck from the end of August... I got two skimpy checks from the temp agency...that's it.

If you have experience you won't have to temp first.

4. BRShirk

BRShirk Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Anyone know how advances would work for experienced drivers?

5. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
  6. BRShirk

Aug 4, 2013
    I misread your post then. I thought that was the way it worked for newbies fresh out of school.

7. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    It's two weeks after orientation.

I clarified that a new driver is different though.

8. BRShirk

Aug 4, 2013
    Sounds like they want to make sure you'll stay for bit...

9. chud3

chud3 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2013
    He said it was 2 weeks after being hired as an experienced driver but at least 30 days after if youre a brand new driver. I understand your confusion. :)

Thanks, Cyborgt800 for the info. I was previously under the impression you got it pretty much right after orientation. Relocating after the long wait to actually start working is nearly impossible.

10. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    Yeah, the wait really sucks! Actually for a new driver it's 30 days PLUS two weeks!

Basically experienced drivers and new go to orientation for 4 days then the experienced drivers put in for the relocation and advance and get it in two weeks.
    new drivers do 4 days orientation then 21-30 days training THEN go back to Abilene to fill out paperwork, do physical and drug test AGAIN then put in for advance and reimbursement THEN two weeks later get the check.

Now in actuality it could wind up being only one week or maybe three due to how things fall on the pay periods...or so we think. No one seems to know for sure. It seems that two weeks is most common though.

11. chud3

chud3 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Don't forget you don't get the relocation bonus until after you have a lease agreement to show them. I understand they don't want people to take the money and run but it does make it awfully hard to relocate without any immediate help from the company. Either way hey still seem like a great company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.