Arky's Sunoco adventure begins in the west TX oilfields!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Arky, Jul 11, 2013.

1. luckyl

luckyl Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    Arky does Sunoco hire owner operators?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cyborgt800

cyborgt800 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    No....check out QC they sub for Sunoco and others in Midland and they hire OO's

4. nd-newbie

nd-newbie Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Minot ND
    I have a friend who got offered $25/hr to haul water out in Midland. I think that is a lot for Texas, and he was jumping for joy that he can live down where the Mexican restaurants actually taste close to authentic. Quite a change from North Dakota restaurants.

5. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    You mean Velveeta on an enchilada ISN'T authentic?:biggrin_2555:

6. Eninety2

Eninety2 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Don't knock that velveeta.

7. BRShirk

BRShirk Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Cyborg, are you with Sunoco? I've got to get my ducks in order and am going to apply. Just wanted to find out what you think of them.

I'm close enough to Sunoco at Marcus Hook Pa that if they bite on my application I want to see if they will let me do the physical and other tests there then report for training at my duty station.

I'm looking to get some time in and then relocate.

8. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    Yes, I think it's generally a good company. There are certain locations that are run better than others though. In some areas they are disorganized and do things because that's what they always do and not because they make sense.

Good luck getting on with them...it's a very lengthy process, again depending on the area it could be weeks to months. If you're fresh nout of CDL school make sure you ask a LOT of questions about whether or not you have to go through the whole CDS BS.

CDS is a staffing agency out of OK that some areas use to pay you through for the first 8-10 weeks...@ $14/hr straight time and they charge YOU for everything...drug test, MVR and whatever else they can. They aren't too concerned about getting your paychecks to you either. AVOID them at all possible costs if you can! If you DO have to go through them ask the person at Sunoco how long before you get a SUNOCO paycheck. They use semantics tricks to make you think it'll be much sooner than it is. They will tell you that training is only 4-6 weeks, which misleads you into thinking you'll start getting real paychecks after that, but the reality is you must add another 2-3 weeks onto that to become a Sunoco employee and four weeks after that to get your first real paycheck. Sunoco does give you a two week advance after two weeks with them because the pay is four weeks behind.

To illustrate this, I started on November 4th, To this date I have received $2300 from CDS and a week ago I got the two week advance from Sunoco. I have another week to go before I get my first real paycheck! So, if you're counting...that's 11 weeks until the first real paycheck! 11 weeks to survive on $3,300 isn't much in Midland...especially when your rent itself is over $1,000/mo.

So try to get a real timeline so you can make choices based on the reality rather than what they lead you to believe it is. Had I known the real timeline I would have slept in my car and joined a gym this whole time instead of getting an apartment...at least my other bills would be getting paid!

9. BRShirk

BRShirk Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks Cyborg. I've been driving for 20yrs, OTR/LTL/van/flat/reefer 2+mil mi, so maybe I can get out the CDS pooh. It sounds like they're using the staffing company as a way to filter through the drivers that can't hack it and not have to pay for all the testing if a driver doesn't stay.

The plan is to go down with a camper and get some time in before getting a place.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. chud3

chud3 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Youre definitely not going to have to do the CDS. For you, youll probably be in training for two weeks, get a check for your orientation aka your advance right after you complete orientation, get your check for training after your third week of work, and youll be set after that. Theyre a great company and worth the wait, just dont quit your day job til you have a datefor orientation after having already done your mvr, drug testing, physical, etc.

Now my question for everyone else is, how long after you gave the compay a copy of your lease did it take you to get your relocation bonus? I heard three weeks. Anyone else have a similar experience?

11. cyborgt800

Oct 9, 2013
    Orchard CO
    Truea! Gaving experience lets you skip CDS.
    As for the relocation bonus...you will need to show your lease agreement. i turned mine in on 12/17/13 and haven't seen it yet...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.