Arky's Sunoco adventure begins in the west TX oilfields!

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Arky, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I find getting into a routine and doing things the same way every time keeps me from making mistakes. Also sometimes when drivers, pumpers, etc come over to talk with me I like to make sure I am doing my job and not getting distracted, THEN once I have things under control I will have a conversation. Until then I run around and do my job and leave them standing there. I have seen a driver set a hose down with no cap on it and spill, guys overfill their tanks and spill out the vapor recovery line, and drivers too worried about talking to other drivers and forgetting to open and close valves. I know several drivers where recently run off the property where I unload for sitting in their truck while pumping off, getting further than 25' from their rigs while pumping off, and not reporting big spills. Something Sunoco makes us do while we unload which I thought was silly at first is put a cone out at the front and back of our rigs before we offload. Then when you are done offloading it forces you to walk the entire length of the truck to pick them up so you double check your work. Don't laugh because some fool tried to drive off the other night with the hose still hooked up and stretched it out!

Chibob Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chibob

Chibob Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    You are absolutely right. I prefer not to do too much talking while unloading. I used to haul dust and I think every driver in our fleet at one time or another drove off with a hose attached to the trailer. Usually because somebody came over and talked to them about some company bs and got them agitated/distracted. The last thing you need is a driver coming over and complaining or gossiping about company policies while you are unloading.

4. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    RockDoctor is absolutely correct. Repetition is the key. Do it the same way every time and double check everything. I don't like the chock blocks and cones either, but I have already seen one guy that failed to set his park brakes and one guy pull away with the ground cable still attached....so it's tough to argue. I won't say a whole lot here, but I have already noticed that we have a certain group that gathers every time at the LACT to tell fish stories and keep the company drama meter pegged. I prefer to keep to myself and do my job. I'm here for the pay check, all the other bs is background noise...imo.

warrior81, valbarr83 and Bigdrmz Thank this.
  5. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    I've seen drivers rip scully lines out ... one company had two drivers that did it on back-to-back days. I check, double-check and then triple-check -everything- before getting back into my truck. I have a repetition and order that I do everything from pulling into the rack to pulling away and I don't deviate.

Arky Thanks this.
  6. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I can't say that I have my pattern down...yet...but I'm working on it. The ground cable is the easiest to forget...for me...so I'm making it the priority right now. It's the first thing hooked up and my last visual check. I check all valves by touching them and mentally noting that they are in the proper position for what I'm doing. There is actually quite a bit involved in getting ready to load/unload and detaching everything. As a newbie, you have to get a pattern down or you'll screw up....and of course, there are several different configurations of equipment at the tank batteries to keep you thoroughly confused!...lol

7. Chibob

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    I hate that. I used to drive a truck that ran on Propane and everywhere I went to get fuel was a different setup.

8. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    It will come. When I began I had a spiral notebook with numbered steps I carried and consulted each time until I had it down. In regard to your ground line, remember, first thing to hook up, last to come off. Remember that and it will become easier. I triple-check my valves to this day. EVERYTHING gets checked three times. I've seen drivers who get their petroleum showers at the riser and loading head. I don't want to be one of them. A whole lot of product comes out in a very short time when a mistake is made. Be safe and good luck to you.

Arky Thanks this.
  9. Chibob

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    I have noticed that some driver ads say you have to climb a twenty foot ladder. When they say ladder do they mean a straight up ladder on the side of a tank or do they mean stairs with handrails? I can do either but I prefer stairs.

10. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Nearly all that I have seen have been stairs with handrails. There are definitely some tanks with ladders, but I have a feeling those are not going to be for us. The old hands here can verify it better.

Chibob Thanks this.
  11. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    yep...I did start a checklist...haven't gotten it down just like i want it yet. Maybe over the weekend I'll have time to sort it out better. I might even post it here...would likely be a good starting spot for others as well...changed to suit personal preferences. Thanks for the input!

Chibob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.