arrow truck sales

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckmetal13, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    If their service was better, I'd buy a Volvo with the ISX in a heartbeat. Really good truck ( mine is spec'd for heavy hauling )....for what I do, I need a truck that's easy to drive, comfortable, extremely manouverable, and have great visibility ( the big passenger-side mirror can cause a big blind spot though). To be honest, I haven't had any major issues. Parts are expensive though.

And the fuel mileage....5.02mpg, which is pretty darn good considering that we haul a gross of 137,000 lbs most of the time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckmetal13

truckmetal13 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Chicago, il
    Do you know what kind down payment I need to have to buy from them ?

4. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    That would be best answered by the dealer / loan officer. It would depend on your credit history, used or new truck, price of the truck, and maybe even your trucking experience. I've heard that PACCAR, which is the parent company for both Kenworth and Peterbilt, have leases whose qualification terms are slightly more lenient that that of financial institutions, but they would charge you a higher rate of interest.

But the way things are right now, you'd be better advised to hang on to your money, and wait till the economy truns the corner. Remember, cash is king.

Also, when you do feel ready to take the plunge, make sure you have a job lined up for your truck, before you actually buy the truck. That way, if you can show the truck vendor or the loan officer a signed contract ( with a decent company ) assuring you of a steady stream of business, you might get a better deal on your financing.

truckmetal13 Thanks this.
  5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Most places want at least 10% down depending on your credit history and score. I put $20,000 down when I bought my new one in 07' and got a great interest rate but the truck market was better then. I hear of some pretty high interest rates these days with finance companys that deal with trucks like Paccar, GE Capital, etc.....

6. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    I was told the EXACT SAME THING by EVERY dealer I went to (4 so far). If you have a low credit score (mainly) or little exp, expect to have to put 20-30% down. I've been told AT LEAST 5-6K to get financed...but that's just me. They'll work with u if u can come up with that.

BUT...I went to my local arrow dealer and said I could come up with $5-6k down, but I need to find work and that'll be difficult with my driving history and exp. He gave me a lot of leads to check out and told me to come see him when I'm ready to buy after I have work lined up.

He said they could put me in a Volvo VNL 680 for $700-800/mo. I went to another dealer and was told "We can work with your credit, but we don't want your money. We want you to be successful and be able to work and pay for the truck. Cuz If u can't pay it off, you'll get your self into a lot of trouble."

So I said I'd look around. I asked him what would be a good 1st truck for me. He said "Freightliner or Int'l - good strong trucks." (We know that KW's and Petes are top notch but they're more $$) "Volvos are nice, safe and comfy, but they're electronics systems are very problematic lately. ESPECIALLY with the new engines." (Volvo's DDE series).

I don't know how true it is, but he also said "I'd sell 10 Freightliners before I sell ONE Volvo. (Four more were being delivered as we spoke) "If you look at other lots, That's all u see is Volvos." You don't see hardly any KW's, Petes, or Intl's. You see some Freightliners (cuz people call em "freight shakers" I guess) and a lot of Volvos.

"That's all Arrow has on their lot. Because they're OWNED BY VOLVO. So they HAVE TO SELL THEM." I don't know how true this is, but that's the 1st thing he offered me for my 1st truck. If u look at their ads in the Truck Paper, you can see they have a "Step Up" event for a Volvo VNL780. Now usually when dealers do this, they have too many and they NEED to get rid of them - because no one's buying them.

Now they seem like a good dealership. But the trucks DO look and ride good. But u don't wanna be stuck with a headache. Get somn more practical with a Cummins, Detroit or CAT in it and get it fixed ASAP when u have to.

And low-mid 400s aint bad for the factory ISX w/twins. Seems like standard hp for that motor. No matter what truck it's in.

7. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    they have so many freightliners and volvos because they sell old fleet trucks and that's mainly what fleets run. Everyone sells ten shakers to anything else. that's because there is 20 shakers to every one of anything else on the road. Do you have any idea how many shakers are built in a year?? So many that they are worthless upon trade in. Most of them get shipped off to other countries for almost nothing because there is such a flood of them

Magnum1 Thanks this.
  8. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    My sentiments EXACTLY!! I didn't get to that earlier. More reason to get one to start - best deals...unless I can find a KW or Pete with a similar deal. Int'l was the big thing around 5 years ago. But now I don't see em as much.

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    that's actually not my sentiment at all.

They are cheap when you buy it used. and they are overpriced at that.

When you go to sell it you'l be lucky to get scrap metal prices on a 8yo shaker.

go look at what 8yo pete and kw's are selling for and tell me where your money is best off being spent

10. truckmetal13

truckmetal13 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Chicago, il
    What kind dealer it was If you can tell me thanks

11. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    comparing a volvo engine to cummins is about like comparing a ford to a chevy. I myself have been broken down more with a cummins engine than a volvo. the only problem with volvo is finding a dealer if you do have a problem not a lot of places for repairs but I believe that will change over time. The only problem I have ever had with a volvo engine was electrical. I know a couple drivers that have volvo 780 with D-16 535 volvo engine and have never had a problem and gets around 7.5mpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.