arrow truck sales

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckmetal13, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Isn't that sad the games that get played when it comes time to trade? I bet there's been a few that have rolled over, the inexperienced or uneducated.

Sorry, can't consider the 1500, but maybe if you were to bump it up to 1550 I'd consider including the trailer:biggrin_25522:

Eskimo6804 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    You're right...In todays market a guy would be much better off cleaning it up good, parking it in the front yard with a shingle and selling it that way. Even Ebaying it would be better than trading in most cases.

Gears Thanks this.
  4. truckmetal13

truckmetal13 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Chicago, il
    Than where i can find a good truck? I don't have idea .
    Thanks for help me

5. truckmetal13

truckmetal13 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Chicago, il
    I have company where i can put truck And I know it's good company friend of my friend is a owner of this company but I need truck and trailer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    Thx I'll keep that in mind. I was looking thru the Truck Paper (I try to get em every 1-2 weeks) and I saw a 02' 03' Volvo with a 48" flat top sleeper w/a 400hp Cummins (I think its a red top N14). I wanted a 70 RR sleeper but I dont think I nd all that space - AND EXTRA WB AND WEIGHT - and the shorter wb will make it easier to turn. I dont see too many Freightliners w/small sleepers anymore. That's why the change of heart. I figure I can haul more weight and get better mpg with a lighter truck. How much better do you think? Maybe 0.5-2mpg?

AMPM Wayne posted a pic of his 1st truck on another thread: a Freightliner M2 Business Class w/26" SLEEPER!!!! But he said he could pull heavy weight (46,000lbs) in a hopper with it! I could save AND MAKE some good money with somn that size or close to it. What do you think??

Truck metal, I wish I could tell u where to get a good truck.

I'm trying to find that place myself! I guess we should just listen to the pros and do what they suggest and/or search feverishly until we find what we're looking for. It's gonna be some time before I get mine, but u sound like you're ready to get yours NOW! So I can imagine your frustration. When I got the car I have now, I took my time and searched until I found one that needed work (all used vehicles do) but was in my price range and one of the most reliable cars I ever had. So my point is take your time. There's some guys on this forum that can tell you what can happen when you get somn you THINK is a good deal.
    Whatever you choose, you're gonna be stuck with it until you have money to trade it in or it runs you into bad credit, bankruptcy and/or reposession.
    So choose wisely.

truckmetal13 Thanks this.
  7. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    The lighter tare weight on the truck will have no effect whatsoever on fuel mileage. It will only increase your payload capacity. If you are going to pull a hopper or something that pays by weight, then that is a big advantage in itself.

newly crusin Thanks this.
  8. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks for the kind offers guys. :biggrin_25518:

I have a formula for buying a used truck. IMO a payment on a good, low mile, late model truck with the specs I like is far better than the hassle and cost of down time and repairs on an older truck. I can't afford a new one and don't want to suffer the depreciation involved. A 250K to 300K mile truck is barely broken in these days and has taken a big hit in depreciation. It's almost always been through the teething pains and any recalls that may have been necessary. It will still have plenty of drive train warranty left for that warm fuzzy peaceful feeling of avoiding expensive repairs. It is almost always a 1 owner truck with document-able history. With 20% down and a sharp eye for a deal a $1200 payment is easy to get and very manageable. By payoff time it is at 700 to 800K miles and still running strong and is marketable. For example, I'm looking at pre DPF 06 and 07 Volvo 880's with Cummins or Western Stars with 14 liter Detroits and 13 or 18 speeds, 3:42 or 3:58 rears and even APU's right now. There are several available that fit the bill nationwide with 200 to 300K miles for about half of what they cost new. With a few mods and driven well the truck should get in the high 6's to low 7's in fuel mileage and be a pleasure to drive and own at about half the cost of a new one.

Don't fall in the hole of buying close to home because it's easier. Look far and wide for what you want for a price you want to pay. I live in Orlando and bought my
    Pete in Nashville. Your local dealer will be happy to sell you parts and service even if you bought your truck across the country. :biggrin_25525:

Travelinman and newly crusin Thank this.
  9. S C Rydah

S C Rydah Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jersey
    Thx! I'm glad u cleared that tare wt/payload thing up for me. I'm from Jersey and I don't know of many O/O's here. They're here, but as far as I know, they haul trash, dry van/reefers, mostly containers and str8 dumps. But I think the most CDL holders here are Class B company drivers and O/O's cuz it's so much work for us here! I don't have the OTR and intermodal exp they're looking for and van work is tight as ever right now. So I'm looking at a hopper, or a dump trlr. I also don't have the credit and DP money that'll get me in an '06-07' truck. The specs you're looking for are similar to mine. I think a 3:55-3:90 with a 13 spd (I hear that's a nice trans) would be nice with an APU and warranty!

And you're absolutely right about broadening my search. I should know better about going out of town to find the best deals! I bought my car 45min from my house privately. Like I said, most guys here are B drivers so that's why there are so many Tractors. I hardly see ANY str8 trucks! So the FIRST PLACE I should be looking is PA. Lehigh Valley is cool, but Carlisle, Harrisburg, north or south of there, and Ohio! Delaware, MD and especially VA -hell, the WHOLE SOUTH EAST should be on my list too! I wonder what New England will turn up...hmmm...

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    except for the calcium chloride they use on the roads now that eats the wiring harness to nothing in 300k miles

11. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    SC RYDAH-- You have some bad info on me. My first truck was a 1977 International Loadstar. I have never pulled a hopper-bottom.
    I currently drive a 2007 WesternStar. I pull a 53 ft. dry van.
    The truck I had before my Westernstar was a M2 112 Freightliner. You are correct. I could haul 46000 lbs with it. MOST HOPPER BOTTOMS HAUL 50000lbs or more. 46000 would be a light load to a die hard hopper bottom driver.
    The Freightliner had a Mercades motor in it. They have a bad design on the oil and fuel filters on a Mercades motor. The are a cartrige type filter and they are messy and a JOKE. We still own one that my dad drives. It is not a very good motor.
    The one I drove got 6mpg. My detroit will get 7mpg.

wheathauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.