Arrow Trucking Need Info..

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by jessejames, Sep 25, 2007.

1. 0ptimu5 Prime

0ptimu5 Prime Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Lavergne, TN
    yep its a strait 10. I was hired as a student driver. orientation is a week then u need 120 hrs of driving time with a trainer. that's 120 hrs of u driving. there driving time doesn't count. and it is 300 a week while u are with a trainer. but that could be 2 weeks or 4 depends on you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 0ptimu5 Prime

Jan 21, 2008
    Lavergne, TN
    I just want to add that flatbed trucking isn't easy. is a lot of work in straping and tarping add in 10 or 110 degree weather and its that much worse. the backing is also different and can be more difficult because we don't have a wall to stop our view and tend to look over the trailer and it can really mess up ur backing. if ur looking for an easy job then find a drop and hook company. flatbed drivers are just a different breed. I spent 4 hrs strapping and tarping 10 foot high frozen sheet metal this morning at 1am in sleet and snow. so think about it before u choose it. 4 hrs of work for a 30 doller tarp pay. not always that bad but it can be. ice skating 10 ft high on a slanted sheet metal roof isn't fun.

Drive-a-Mack Thanks this.
  4. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Yeah, but you must know all of the tricks by now...:biggrin_2559:

Do you mind sharing your valuable knowledge..some of us 'round here would appreciate it:biggrin_25514:

5. 2nd career

2nd career Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    I went through CDL class last year. A former student who was now working for Arrow had just made a delivery near Atlantic City (His hometown). He was taking a day off and asked the school if he could leave his trailer there for a day. Upon returning, he said Arrow was a good Co. He said tarping was hard but he liked the extra money it paid. After his day off he was to deadhead it to Ohio (about 5-6 hours away). This was strange to me, but he took it in stride.

:biggrin_25520::biggrin_25520:

6. 0ptimu5 Prime

Jan 21, 2008
    Lavergne, TN
    lol nah I don't know all the secrets lol. but arrow taught us how to adjust our mirrors just perfect so that you can tell when its not right. what the school taught me about mirrors didn't apply it was all wrong for flatbeds.
    deadheading isn't so bad. as long as I'm being paid I don't care if I have 50000lbs or if I'm empty. my first load was 54K had to be tarped and was a 4 drop load. so I tarped and untarped 4 times. after each drop I had to retarp it. talk about a pain in the butt.

7. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

OUCH!!!!!!! :biggrin_25524:

8. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    Are you going to be running regional, home every weekend or what? Frtshaker, Mack, Pbilt, KW ??? Did you investigate any other companies before choosing Arrow? Tell me more if you don't mind. I would like to hear your story and how it plays out for you if you don't mind discussing. TIA, TKM

9. 0ptimu5 Prime

Jan 21, 2008
    Lavergne, TN
    I'm going to go linehaul. atleast for now. I did look at a lot of other companis. from tmc to falcon to mcelroy. I just went with arrow they were very polite and professional. not saying others weren't. but that with .34 cent a mile with a 2cent raise in 90 days made me come. so far no regrets.

10. ybfjax

ybfjax Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2007
    GA
    I was looking on arrow trucking website and I noticed that they give some limited specifics about their pay. It seems that for their different divisions the pay scale is different. Let me elaborate: There is Flatbed Line Haul, Super East Regional, and . There's also heavy haul specialized, but that requires 1 yr experience.

Flatbed Line Haul: All 48 states and Canada

Hiring Area: Most of the U.S.Pay Rate
    Starting pay based on amount of verifiable experience.
    All miles are paid, loaded and empty.
    First 90 days: $.34cpm
    91 days-3 years: $.36cpm
    3-5 years: $.37cpm
    5+ years: $.38cpm

Safety Bonus Pay
    Up to $1100.00 annually or $275.00 per quarter for safe driving miles.
    Incentive bonus pay will be paid monthly to all linehaul drivers that drive a minimum of 10,000 safe miles per four week payroll month.

The incentive bonus pay will be based on the following safe mile threshold for the 4 week payroll period for all miles driven:

- 10,000 - 14,000 safe miles $.01 cpm
    - 14,000+ miles $.02 cpm
    Tarp Pay: $30.00
    We also have opportunities for LTL freight with some loads to boost the paycheck.

Permitted loads pays an additional $0.065 per mile.
    ------------------------------------------
    Super East Regional

Operating Area
    See Map

Pay Rate
    Starting pay based on amount of verifiable experience.
    All miles are paid, loaded and empty.
    First 90 days: $.34cpm
    91 days-3 years: $.36cpm
    3-5 years: $.37cpm
    5+ years: $.38cpm

Safety Bonus Pay
    ---------------------
    Southwest Regional

Operating Area
    Fleet Managers for this operation will be in one of the SW terminals - Tulsa, Dallas, Laredo or Houston.

Pay Rate
    26% of net line haul revenue
    Tarp Pay: $30.00

Safety Bonus Pay

-------------------
    Heavy Haul Specialized: Eastern US

Operating Area: All 48 states and Canada

Experience: 1 Year flatbed experience

Pay Rate
    - 26% of the net line haul revenue and the overdimensional charges
    - 20 cents paid for any deadhead miles driven
    - $15 for each night dispatched under a permitted load

--------------------------

My Question deals with those that do Southwest Regional and Heavy Haul Specialized. For What does 26% of the NET work out to? Also, SW Regional mentions nothing about deadheading. Did they brief you at orientation about this?

How much do they pay for layovers and for each stop besides the p/up and d/off

Copied from their perks and benefits page:

Pay & Bonuses
    - Safe Operating Bonus
    - $2000 referral bonus per driver (no earning limit)
    - Detention pay
    - Tarp pay
    - Layover pay
    - NYC arbitrary pay
    - Weekly pay
    - Incentive pay
    - Direct deposit (through Comdata Express Cash Card)
    - Generous advances
    - LTL loads available to boost pay
    - Over dimensional pay

Also in the next section, they talk about 'Idle Aire'. What is that?

I was doing a physical once and I met a truck driver who said one company he used to work for paid $50 to tarp. Hey, some companies only pay $10 to tarp (TMC). Maverick pays $10 for 4' tarps and $20 for 8' tarps. BTC is $25. Arrow is $30.

Personally, I think that $25 is the minimum you should get to tarp. $35-40 sounds much more reasonable. I guess you gotta OWN your own truck to get those pays. Carriers seem to want to get away with paying you the least, especially students.

I heard a lot of good things about falcon as well. Ironically, they sent a prehire letter to Jacksonville, FL. But they aren't hiring from FL or GA. The recruiter said I'ld have to relocate to Birmingham, AL. Oh well.

More than likely, I would do either the SE Regional or SW regional.

11. 0ptimu5 Prime

Jan 21, 2008
    Lavergne, TN
    arrow doesn't know what detention pay is so forget about that lol.

idle air is at like 255 truckstops or something like that. you pull up in the stall and put this huge hose in throu ur window with an adopter it blows cold or hot air has internet and satalite tv. u can also do pay per view movies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.