Ask a Peterbilt Dealer!

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by ThePeteStore, Apr 25, 2011.

1. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2005 387, I want to replace my high rise roof with a mid roof. Is this feasible and do you have an idea on the cost and who will do it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ThePeteStore

ThePeteStore Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Terry, Because the Model 387 is an integrated cab/sleeper design, any kind of conversion would be difficult and costly. While there is a seam running the length of the sleeper, the bonding process used at the factory is so strong that separating the two sections is darn near impossible.

Could it be done? Perhaps. Would it be cost effective? Most definitely not.

4. ThePeteStore

Jan 17, 2011
    Dave,

We have sold a good many MX-powered Peterbilt's and while they aren't perfect (nothing mechanical or electrical is), they are performing very, very well. Most of the issues we have seen are sensor related, or the need for re-calibrations/updates - certainly nothing to keep a truck in the shop for extended periods of time.

The MX has been in production for 6 years now with over 100,000 sold worldwide. In introducing the engine to North America, PACCAR spend $1 Billion in optimization and testing (50 Million Miles worth) and built a $400 million factory in Mississippi.

Here are some unique charateristics about the engine worth noting:

- Only engine to use CGI (20% lighter and 70% stronger than grey iron) in the block and the head
    - 40,000 mile service intervals (centrifugal filters, and no external oil lines)
    - One of the highest power-to-weight ratio engines available in the world
    - No Counterweights on the crankshaft
    - B-10 design life meaning 90% of the engines will make it to 1,000,000 without the need for major engine work (most other engines are only B-50)

As far as the pulling power, this could be a spec'ing issue (wrong ratio, wrong power rating for the application), or it's not being driven in the right RPM range. At 1,750 lb ft. torque and 485 HP there shouldn't be any issues with pulling power.

I'm sure with the salesperson there was some degree of a sales-pitch (it's a salesperson after all) but that doesn't mean what he or she said is not the truth. After all, a sales person wants to sell you what will give him or her the least problems to deal with down the road and that means spec'ing for reliability. Sales people don't make a penny more for selling the MX over the other engines we offer.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

5. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I understand the labor would be extensive. Only I can put a value on this conversion, not matter the price, if it is worth it to me, then it is worth it. I had one quote of about $30K. We didn't really get into details.

I guess my real question is how much would the replacement parts cost, going from the highroof to a midroof. The roof and the interior trim.

Do you know of anyone that specializes in this type of work?

Thanks for your response.

6. tre121707

tre121707 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2011
    richmond, va
    I drive a 387 and my radio went out. I checked the fuses and they are good. The diagnostic panel says that the radio and cb circuits overloaded. How do I fix this.

7. oldbulger

oldbulger Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011
    TEXAS
    Having driven most brands of otr trucks, I have to say that when I needed assistance out on the road, I could call the nearest Peterbilt dealer service and they would help me over the phone......no problem.

Not so with some of the other trucks. They will tell you "you will have to bring the truck in". But sir....I'm here on the side of the road I need advice now. "Sorry! You will have to bring the truck in".

Any like experiences along this line? Is this why Peterbilt is so popular? They don't ignore you after you have bought the truck? The others don't give a ####.

Jump in anybody.

8. ThePeteStore

Jan 17, 2011
    Terry, I would suggest you call our parts department here and speak with Eddie. He's our resident 'parts guru' - I think you'll find him to be very helpful. The number is 864.269.7202

Big John Thanks this.
  9. ThePeteStore

Jan 17, 2011
    tre121707 - do you run out of Richmond? If so I'd suggest stopping through there and asking for John our service manager there. He can help you out. Or if you'd prefer, just give him a call @ 804.231.9800.

10. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    My Pete dealer will sell me a glider but will not build it. I am interested in getting a new 389 with a 48" sleeper, 250" WB. I have a 2003 ISX I am wanting to put in it and purchase a reman 13spd. I am looking for a dealer that has the experience and the people to order and build a glider. I am looking for a one stop shop.

Do you guys build gliders?

Can you get one from the factory with rearends or one with a new transmission?

Do you order it with out the DPF and Urea tank and put a regular tool box on the passenger side or does it come with those and we remove them? I just don't want to pay for something I will never use.

How much down payment or deposit do you require to order a glider?

Are you guys getting 386 gliders?

Thanks for being on here and answering questions like you do.

11. Rig Wrench

Rig Wrench Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    northeast
    I've got a 389 glider, came through with no DPF filter and no DEF tank. was spec'd for a 07 model year ISX.
    If I wanted to put a single turbo Cat in it's place what would be involved?
    assuming I had a a complete motor and engine harness. what is different in the dash wiring? I know theTPS is different but what else? Haven't installed a motor yet but i can get my hands on a 01 379 with a c16 for the engine and harness.
    thanks for the advice

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.