Ask a Trainer - For New Hires and Potential Employees

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Baritone, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Noob1

Noob1 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2014
    Doesn't matter if you stay in the hotel or not... I just finished school and am currently with my trainer... The homework is very very minimal... If you can commute save your money and stay home... I'm not sure about Florida but their website lists the states they hire from

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trainwreck40

trainwreck40 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Azle, TX
    I just went through MTI in Texas and am now driving in Texas. It is true that they pay 50 cents a mile here, they just made that jump in pay just a few weeks ago. I am not sure but I have heard its because they had a guarantee weekly pay of 800 and some drivers were taking advantage of that and being lazy, and I also heard they did it because they are having a hard time keeping drivers due to all the other driving jobs available in this area. I have also heard differences in peoples mileage ranging from 900 a week to 2500 a week. I personally have been getting around 2000 consistently but would be more if there weren't so many short runs. Bear in mind I do not complain and I run as much as I can and work long hours usually trying to find a place to park with less then an hour left on my 14 every day. They do not run APU's and prefer you not idle the truck all night but don't say anything if you do when its hot out. For the 50 cents a mile deal you have to run regional in Texas and the regional trucks dont have inverters and I don't think they will let you put one in although I do believe you can pay to have them install one they approve of but not for sure on the regional trucks. Their response time on maintenance is very good and they run newer model kenworths mostly. The new ones are all 680's the older ones are 700's and they still have some freightliners as well, but they have nothing over 3 years old. They gave me 1000 off on the school and I didn't pay anything up front. They do allow you to have a rider after 6 months of driving with them and you have to purchase an insurance policy on the rider which I think was like 100 bucks a year or so. Not sure if the qualcom is the new style but I would wager it is, they don't really cut corners much.

josepholson Thanks this.
  4. Rotorzilla

Rotorzilla Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    trainwreck40 thanks for the great info, Im going to be in the 1st Class in the Edan NC center and I am looking forward to getting past school and out on the road.

bmovers Thanks this.
  5. stimolina

stimolina Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Cary,North Carolina
    I was turned down. I have 17 years of perfect experience,I think they only want young inexperienced drivers so they can pay them less. What there deal? I live in NC and they need drivers out of Miller beer.

6. Noob1

Noob1 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2014
    We had 3 experienced drivers in my orientation so I'm not sure what's going on there

7. Nighthawwk

Nighthawwk Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I've worked as a chef on a couple of different cruise ships, Big Daddy51, and usually worked 5 months on with no days off, with 15 hour days.

8. sapamil

sapamil Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Middletown Ohio
    Millis does not care whether you stay at the hotel that is up to the individual but you do have a point abt having other students to bounce questions off of

9. cincypapaw

cincypapaw Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2013
    CIncinnati
    So Millis drivers, what are some of you doing for cell phone plans and data plans for internet/wifi? Are you relying on TS and their WiFi which I understand can be overloaded and slow Are there any good ideas or plans out there to be had

10. Rotorzilla

Rotorzilla Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    yeah that is a good question. what is a good plan and carrier for unlimited 4g lte data?

11. josepholson

josepholson Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Tyler, Texas
    Verizon has the best coverage across the map and Millis employees get a 15% discount once your hired on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.