Assigned trucks?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ulenie, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    For those that do linehaul ltl and go out for 5 to 7 days at a time, are you assigned trucks or is it random trucks every time you report to work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Here at OD all linehaul drivers have assigned trucks.

ulenie Thanks this.
  4. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    nice to hear. They are one of the companies I plan to apply to after CDL school.

5. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Hopefully you get in brother ODFL is a great company to be with and retire from.
    Good luck

Fuelinmyveins and ulenie Thank this.
  6. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You mean most, right? I've driven a different truck every day for the past three weeks.

I did have an assigned truck though. When it wasn't in the shop with DPF issues it ran 70 mph. I still miss it.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    most drivers do, since I'm a city p&d I'm lucky if I see the truck twice in a row.

8. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Truck assignment will vary per terminal. We have trucks assigned to schedules, not drivers. When drivers bid on a different run, they get a different truck. And our extraboard will use the "general population" trucks, or the "pig pen" as we call it. Other terminals will assign trucks to individual drivers. It really does vary across ODFL.

9. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @2BucTruck I figure all terminals operate the same way since we work for the same company. at least here in houston trucks are assigned to some city p&d drivers along with linehaul drivers.

10. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Depends on company and terminal. Most schedule guys will drive the same truck every day. Extraboard I'm not sure. Good thing about extraboard is that more often than not you'll be the only one driving your truck throughout the week. Occasionally you'll lay down at a terminal that is short trucks and they will go snatch yours from the hotel and (hopefully) have it back to you by the time you need to be up.

11. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    You'd think so but there's actually a decent amount of autonomy per terminal in regard to operations. I talk to other drivers and people in management from around the country.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.