Assistance with an N14 red top celect

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by fletchertrucking, Mar 18, 2019.

1. fletchertrucking

fletchertrucking Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    We have a 95 Pete with an N14. 3 weeks ago the turbo blew. Put new one on, ran great. Next day after getting fuel it started running like crap, and the oil pressure dropped. It usually idles at 20, and nearly 45 when in use. Now its barely 10 & 25. Assumed we got a bad batch & treated the fuel, changed filters, etc. No change. Installed a new set of injectors, oilers, gaskets. Sounded great during test drive, then again like crap & still no oil pressure. This weekend we changed the oil pump & related gaskets & O rings, dropped the pan (did find small piece of the turbo). Started it up, perfect pressure....next day, back to square 1. Now what? I know rods & mains should be next on the list.....but it doesn't run badly all the time. Except for constant low pressure, sometimes it sounds great, then all of a sudden it starts banging and carrying on, (like maybe not getting enough fuel) you can feel it in the floor. It is our opinion that if a bearing had gone, it would run badly consistantly. Plus it's been driven about 1500 miles since the turbo in between trying new stuff. If it was rods and mains something should have given up completely by now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Did you wipe the pan out good? How does the pick up tub and screen look?

4. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
  5. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Any diesel fuel in the oil

6. fletchertrucking

Mar 18, 2019
    Yes, #### & span. Put new O rings on the pick up tube & checked screens. Also changed the low pressure sensor today.

7. fletchertrucking

Mar 18, 2019
    No, thought maybe some had gotten in when the turbo went, so checked that. Next day after oil change was when we change the oil pump, so it's had new oil twice.

8. fletchertrucking

Mar 18, 2019
    Would it run consistantly bad if it was the cam or a worn lobe? Instead of up and down?

9. kubasj05

kubasj05 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2013
    If you found small piece of turbo in the oil pan it most likely is turbo shaft bearing There's no other way to introduce turbo debris into oil other than through turbo oil return line. Another possibility is that you fed turbo debris into the intake possibly damaging valves or cylinder liner/piston (that would have immediate effect on how your engine would run, ####ty of course)
    I don't understand what possessed you not to take at least 2 or actually all main and rod caps to verify condition of the bearings. On the top of it you drove another 1500 miles afterwards?
    Common sense should be you best guide. Good luck on your fix and I hope it's nothing serious.

10. fletchertrucking

Mar 18, 2019
    The main reason was because it ran so well right after the new turbo, thought it had gotten shut down quickly and no other damage had been done. But if it had damaged the rods and mains wouldn't it run ####ty all the time vs some of the time.

11. kubasj05

kubasj05 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Do you mean (when it runs crappy for lack of better word) it's low on power or does it misfire. Can you describe symptoms when it runs bad.

Your oil pressure issue began after turbo failure right? I'm trying to think constructively here instead of throwing ideas without merit

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.