At a career crossroads and once again considering trucking (OTR)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by PossiblyDelulu, Feb 17, 2024.

1. PossiblyDelulu

PossiblyDelulu Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks for the input everyone. Trying to understand pathways better: Based on recommendations, I'm sensing that it might be better to get CDL-Learner's Permit and try to get trained by one of the CDL-training companies (and then working for them for the 1-2 yrs) than trying my luck at one of the independent CDL schools and hoping to find an OTR job? Based on what I have read here and other websites there's certainly pros and cons to both approaches but does the current state of the freight economy mean that a successful stint in a large company's in-house CDL school make it more likely to get that OTR placement I am looking for?

That said, if I did training with a large company, how difficult would it be to go back and add endorsements or remove an automatic restriction especially if I am out there on the road a lot?

I definitely understand this is as much a lifestyle as it is profession. I enjoyed the times I have driven moving trucks cross-country for myself or others. I've done deliveries and pick-ups in NYC for work and managed just fine. Obviously 17' to 26' trucks are not the same thing as a 53' tractor trailer. Having never done it before, I do have some anxiety about backing my trailer into a dock with just a tiny clearance on either side!

I know do need to downsize and I would be lying if I said I wouldn't take that higher paying job in one of the fields that I have experience in if it paid over 100K. Or even 80! But if I just am not getting those opportunities in in areas I used to find decent work in, I just need accept that and to find something that could meet financial goals and still interests me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trucking company cdl school is ok. Get all the endorsements before graduating. As far as driving stick shift, very few trucking companies use stick shifts anymore.

201 Thanks this.
  4. Wtfisthis

Wtfisthis Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2024
    You need to make federal minimum wage to qualify for government grants that will pay for your entire CDL schooling and license.

5. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    The biggest issue right now is that freight is down and many companies have temporarily stopped hiring. A strong candidate should be able to find a job, but your options won’t be as good until things pick back up.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    WIOA Program, in each state, pays for cdl school, free to you, for the unemployed and under-employed.

Jamie01 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.