At Least 3 Dead When MTA, Coach Buses Collide in New York

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Alaska76, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    [​IMG]

A New York City MTA bus and a Dahlia coach bus collided early Monday morning, killing at least three people and injuring more than a dozen others, officials said.

The buses crashed into each other at the intersection of Main Street and Northern Boulevard in Flushing about 6:15 a.m.

At least 16 people were injured in the crash and seven people were in critical condition.

One person was found dead at the scene and two others died in hospitals, authorities said. One of the dead was a pedestrian, one was the coach bus driver and the third was a passenger on one of the buses, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said during a news conference.

The names of those killed were not immediately released.

De Blasio said authorities were reviewing video evidence to determine how the crash occurred.

The MTA bus was turning when the coach bus struck it, de Blasio said. The MTA bus driver had been on the job for 10 years and was in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

“We had a really tragic morning here in flushing, queens. Just shocking to see the scene there..the sheer destruction from the impact of this collision,” de Blasio said.

The crash also ignited a small fire in the building near where the bus crashed, but the blaze was quickly put out. The NYPD urged people to avoid the area after the “very serious collision” that caused “heavy traffic delays.”

Firefighters and police officers were seen in photos and videos posted to social media helping passengers out of the vehicles. It’s unclear how many people were on each of the buses.

New York City’s Office of Emergency Management tweeted to “expect extensive traffic delays and a heavy presence of emergency personnel.”

Dahlia is a travel and tour bus company based in Flushing.
    At Least 3 Dead When MTA, Coach Buses Collide in New York

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Terrible. Prayers for all involved.

4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Such sad news, prayers for all those involved and the families of the deceased.

5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Wow, prayers to all involved and their loved ones for sure. Wondering if the driver of the coach bus didn't have a medical emergency. He did die. Hmmmm....

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I wonder if he was heading to or leaving GCT.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't get how the states allow these buses to drive non-truck speed limits. I get passed by them all the time, they are doing 75 to 85 mph, had a few who just sat on my butt trying to intimidate me. Maybe it is time the FMCSA and the states start treating them as trucks but with more of an emphasis on safety.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    If this was in Queens and not on an expressway, the speed limit is 25 for everyone.

9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    .... Except for Taxi Cabs in the city;!!! ... that's when I'm forced to visit with the wife, we take the subways and walk. They ALL drive crazy out there, and no enforcement to my recollection.

10. jess4040

jess4040 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Ya, that's just plain aggression by the driver, all the bus drivers get the "safety" training, but it's only if they are going to abide by the rules or not. I know here in Alberta, we have GPS trackers on our buses and they can see how fast we are driving, if we are stopping at stop signs, I know of some here that should be put out to pasture as they are just out of control. Other drivers just anonymously turn them in. Our fastest speed limits here are 110 kms per hour, we are only supposed to do 90, but to not obstruct traffic on the highways, the police might let us get away with 100. I think one, one day was doing 120, INSANE, with kids on board. And there's nothing wrong with following your kids bus driver, I had lots of parents follow me, I've never been so much of a safer driver until I became a bus driver, I think of the kids on board and their safety.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. jess4040

jess4040 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    OH YA, taxis are the worst commercial drivers, what the heck. One time we took a cab to the airport and almost died, #### guy, cracker jack box license !!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.