At orientation, nervous about being sent home.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by arkanstigers, May 9, 2017.

1. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Congrats. Just take it easy, becuase your trainer is gonna suck. Dont kill him, do your time, and survive. Swift is a good company to start.

Rocknroller4, x1Heavy and arkanstigers Thank this.
  2. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I'm hoping I get a trainer that is at least easy to get along with, my music taste is fairly obscure so I'm sure I'll be taking a hit in that department. I'll be happy if I can leave tomorrow night with someone.

And as far as swift goes, the training so far has been good. Hotel is nice, they buy us lunch every day, instructors have been friendly and knowledgable, and the facility is modern and very clean. Looking at my first year in the industry as paying my dues, I'm not too upset about the compensation at all. A year from now I'll probably be doing a lot better, but for the time being I have no spouse, no kids, no car, ditching the apartment when my lease runs out, so with no bills at all I'll be doing alrite.

3. Driver Eight

Oct 26, 2012
    Oh, going to swift school? You have your CDL, I had thought you would be on the road with a trainer tomorrow. Anyway, I was with Swift out of AIT. My trainer told me, rule#1, no talking politics. He then subjected me to 5 weeks of political radio, and talked about the president all day long. And the radio was LOUD!. He told me he wanted to keep me awake behind the wheel. So, the point is, it can get bad for you, but you can make it if you have a sense of humor. Just know most people hate their trainer.

4. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I do have my cdl, no school. I'll be leaving with a trainer.

5. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    One thing your going to have to quit doing is worrying......learn to take life by the balls and run with it....

When you worry..thats when you mess up...you get yourself into a situation in a truck and start to panic its only going to make things worse...

Learn to stay calm

6. Blessed!!

Blessed!! Bobtail Member

May 11, 2017

7. Blessed!!

Blessed!! Bobtail Member

May 11, 2017

8. Blessed!!

Blessed!! Bobtail Member

May 11, 2017
    Really bro you are going to be just fine on the orientation side . I honestly don't feel you have anything to worry about . So start thanking God now . However you might want to ask for a new roommate..

9. Driver Eight

Oct 26, 2012
    Pay attention to this post. Trucking is stressful, especially while training. Expect it and let it go at the same time. And everybody has trouble shifting /backing etc in the beginning.

BigTennOTR and austinmike Thank this.
  10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Propane botails or transport

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.