At what temperature do you add winterizer to your diesel tanks?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BillyBobFrank, Nov 26, 2023.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I was about to say the same thing. When I was less experienced, I filled up in Duncan, SC and took a load up to Benzonia, MI. I got up to Ottawa Lake and reset there. Got up early and finished the rest of the way. Mind you it was in the 10s when I left Ottawa Lake. I got up to Cadillac and it was 31 below 0. I was losing power because the fuel was gelling. The guy asked me where I got fuel and I told him down in SC. He was from Traverse City so he dropped that knowledge of fuel on me. The magic number is 10 degrees he said. I have gotten fuel in the south and been ok in single digits.....as long as there is no wind chill lol. I can't think of a time I used additive when getting fuel in the north unless it got way below 0.

@BillyBobFrank If you know you're going into extreme cold, put enough fuel to get yourself to a northern state, put the additive in then fill up. If you fill up first then use the additive, make you stay idling. The more northern fuel you have the better it is for you. Also @Professor No-Name turned me on to the trick of putting a diaper around the dome filter. That's added protection from the extreme cold as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It can be used when it's cold. It just depends on how much you used, the temp, and the amount of fuel you had when you used the additive. I've had to use whole bottles on occasion.

BillyBobFrank Thanks this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    This a must if your running a mechanical motor especially if it’s a Cat the diapers around the fuel filters I also put a stocking hat around the diaper

BillyBobFrank, Feedman and Judge Thank this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    10* if my trucks not gonna be runnin. I've ran as cold as -35 without additive, but that was northern fuel too.

I know everyone advocates keeping the tanks full, but in the crazy cold i like to stay below half. Makes a significant difference in fuel temps having less than 75 gallons in each tank.

InTooDeep, Feedman, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    In all my years,and that includes 95% in upper midwest, I can only recall one time I had fuel gel. Before blended fuel, we made our own "blend", of #1 and #2. I'd say a bigger issue for this poster, is water in the fuel tanks or air.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve never ran or trusted any fuel additive. If it’s getting that cold I’m spending the money and just putting some #1 in each tank. Keep in mind that wherever you’re buying your fuel it’s already blended (or has additives) for the average winter temp of the area. If it’s cold up north and that’s where you’re headed then don’t top your tanks off down in Oklahoma.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree. Most of that crap is snake oil anyways, and does nothing to stop gelling. I used to buy "Howes", to give the old Cummings some added zip, but never used Power Service, or any of that.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    When I was pulling flatbed for my old boss that was something that was drummed into me. We never ran additives. He wanted us with #1 if it was getting that cold so I figure if he could spend the money on the fuel instead of additives for a bunch of trucks then the cost must be worth it.

Back before I got the 08 I drove for him we would stop and put in about 8 gallons of gas if we were in a pinch and couldn’t get #1. But that all ended with dpf’s.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Power Service is a joke the 911 does work some what but that is the after the fact fix and it’s not a miracle in a jug I run Howes year around because I have a mechanical motor and it help keeps the fuel system clean and lubricated I agree with you most of the stuff is snake oil and it’s just feel good about yourself in a. Plastic jug

201, Feedman and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.