At what weight is a trailer CVI and license plate needed

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, May 15, 2017.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Company I work for recently acquired a couple pieces of trailer mounted equipment. Previous owner had fresh CVI's done on them. I was told that we don't need to have them plated or a CVI done on them because they are a "light" trailer. To me this seems wrong. We aren't a licensed inspection facility and I have never taken the CVIP course (since I primarily work on heavy equipment). We do haul all our trailered stuff probably 98% of the time rather than towing it. I'm just concerned about the 2% of the time that it might get towed. GVW of trailer is 7500lbs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    I reckon any trailer needs a plate.. You're in Ontario right?

If it's being pulled by a commercial vehicle it needs an inspection for sure

4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Alberta.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    No inspection required.

Yes, it can be a homebuilt trailer of 2 x 4s, nails and binder twine (that is the exact question I asked), and it does have to meet the regulations (VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION, Alberta Regulation 122/2009), but aside from that you're good to go.

Even "heavy trailers" as I had several fabricated in the 15,000-25,000 lbs range.

They don't call it the wild west for nothing. :D

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Macneil, AModelCat and nate980 Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Really? That's interesting. I would have figured they would need some sort of inspection and license plate.

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Plate I'm not sure about... you best ask, but I expect it should. And, since you're asking, confirm about the inspection also, but that was the case when I was having trailers fabricated and I haven't seen anything in the regulations since to counter that.

Yeah, I was actually a little shocked. I literally asked, "so, anybody can build a trailer in their backyard and get it licensed?" The answer was yes.

Inspections? We don't need no stinking inspections!

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know in BC you can build a "Ubilt" and it doesn't need any kind of inspection or VIN if its under 3,500lbs. Above that it needs an initial inspection and IIRC an assigned VIN number for identification. I didn't realize Alberta was even more lax than that.

9. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    I hope this helps, Alberta Transportation on home built trailers. I am pretty sure you will need a plate and registration since you will be covering the tow vehicles plates.
    Government of Alberta Ministry of Transportation: VIN Assignment
    VIN Assignment
    Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Program
    Under the Traffic Safety Act a person is required to have an official vehicle identification number affixed to a vehicle that has its manufacturer's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) lost or obliterated, a home made trailer or an amalgamated vehicle.

The Alberta assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) program has a unique identifier of 2AT which has been approved by the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association. No vehicle manufacturers or other jurisdictions can use this identifier in the first three digits.

This 17-digit numbering system is compatible with international VIN convention. It will help stop auto theft and insurance fraud, and also assist in the identification of recovered stolen vehicles.

It will also stop the registration of vehicles and trailers using non-repairable components. These vehicles do not qualify for an approved VIN.

Alberta's Vehicle Identification Number will reduce the number of vehicle and trailer thefts by cross referencing vehicle registration information across North America and with the Canadian Police Information Centre.

The cost for a single axle trailer is $136.50 ($130 + $6.50 GST) and $514.50 ($490 + $24.50 GST) for other vehicles. This fee covers the labour costs to examine the vehicle, confirm sources of parts to ensure they meet the requirements for VIN assignment, and to put the VIN plate on the vehicle. Included in the price is the cost of equipment and materials such as engravers, plates, and travel.

A database will be created containing personal and non-personal information. This database will be a valuable tool for law enforcement agencies and investigative bodies for the investigation of auto related crimes.

The department has information sharing agreements with the police authority and the Insurance Crime Prevention Bureau in place, in accordance with Alberta and federal privacy legislation.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada, the service provider, will be available by appointment to administer the VIN program. In Calgary call (403) 258-3677, toll free at 1-866-263-6240 or visit Welcome to Insurance Bureau of Canada for the VIN application form.

For additional information phone 427-8901 in Edmonton or toll free 310-0000.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Onterrible is well..terrible. Safe? Terrible? Who knows. Lol

11. gunnar

gunnar Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2008
    calgary, Ab
    If you are registered commercial, which I assume you will be, you will have to register a weight at which you operate. If you are registered over 11,794kg you need to have a CVIP inspection complete. if you register under that 11,794 kg and are caught over it you can get ticketed for no CVIP and/or operating over registered weight.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.