ATA could set a new standard for safety with hourly pay

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TheDudeAbides, Nov 12, 2019.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Why don’t the mega fleets at the ATA adopt an hourly pay standard for their drivers? Seem the biggest risk factor for unsafe driving is speeding and rushing. Now with ELD/Elogs we know when a driver is moving and we’d get more honest data regarding loading and unloading and the drivers for all these fleets subsequently would no longer feel the pressure of being under the gun since they’re getting paid for all work activity. Seems like a no-brainer for safety and a much better idea than speed limiters, hair follicle testing, etc combined

Just passing by and uncleal13 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    ATAs goal is getting as much out the Driver with out paying alot. They are more of a lobbyist group than anything. They only tackle issues that benefit them.

4. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    It would cost them too much. No decent driver would turn the key for less than $20/hr

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. TheDudeAbides

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I get that but they preach safety in all these things they push. If OOIDA could challenge them on the hourly thing maybe they’d shut up, lol

6. Mike250rs

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Dock delays & lack of decent parking are bigger safety concerns.

7. TheDudeAbides

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    i agree but they might be resolved with pressure from these fleets paying hourly wages for drivers to sit hour upon hour in docks

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Because it would incentivize the lazy and incompetent.

If you take my current earnings and divide by hours logged to set my hourly rate then there is no incentive to work efficiently. My pretrips would still be done in 15 minutes, but I would spend the next 15 minutes watching cat videos. I would be encouraged to l9g on duty while in the dock and while going in to pee. Why hustle if it all ends up the same?

9. Mike250rs

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    That all depends on the carrier contracts on detention payouts.
    Megas keep signing crap ones and repowering the loads as needed.

10. TheDudeAbides

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    that’s kinda the point. Well not watching cat videos, lol. But logging on duty while being loaded and unloaded would eventually put pressure on these shippers receivers.
    And really the whole point in to minimize the rushing and chasing miles mentality. That’s where speeding in construction zones, 65 1/2 passing 65, etc comes in

11. TheDudeAbides

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    The whole point of this conversation isn’t really about hourly pay and it’s merits or disadvantages. It’s that if the ATA wants to push speed limiters, hair testing, and elds, then why wouldnt they wanna do something that would truly have an effect on safety? I just think it’s something that could be used to challenge them in their pursuit of leveling the playing field in the name of “safety”

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.