Attempting to get something removed from my DAC report

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Newport, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Newport

Newport Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Ok so apparently I've got two preventable accidents on my report. Until I got turned down by a company for this reason I was only aware of one of them.
    Here is what happened.

I was backing into a truck stop parking lot late one night in September, and I thought I hit the mirror of a parked truck. I got out and looked and saw that its bolts were ripped out and it was just hanging there and I thought, oh crap I must have done that. Driver of truck was not around, I was new to the trucking industry at the time and wanted to do the right thing so called dispatch and told them what happened. They told me to leave my information and call the local authorities so there was no chance of getting stuck with a hit and run. I did that, but in the mean time (waiting for the officer) a security guard pointed out that the damage to the mirror was old damage (rusted, weather damage). All I did, if anything at all, was push back the mirror, and one push back in the right direction had it back the way it was. When the officer showed up all he did was take down my name, didn't even look at the truck.
    When I talked to safety the following day I explained that, and said I may have pushed the mirror with my trailer a bit but I don't believe it caused any damage. No accident report was ever filed, and the owner of the truck never made a claim against my company. So I thought the incident wasn't going to effect me.

Well, its on my report as a preventable accident which sounds way worse then what actually happened. Having 2 preventables is causing me to be unqualified for a bunch of jobs I would otherwise be qualified for with just 1, so I'd really like to have that incident with the mirror removed... Like I said no money was spent by anyone, and I didn't cause any damage. I really feel like It should have never gone on my report at all. Think I got a shot at getting it off and any advice on the process?
    I already requested a copy of my report from hireright and am waiting for them to send it to me.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Wait for the report and than file a grievance with them (hireright), send in the a copy of the report with your grievance. I haven't heard of anyone getting anything removed yet. It's like your credit report, once it is on there, hard to get off but, worth a shot. Keep us updated.

gpsman Thanks this.
  4. Newport

Newport Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    What about companies that help you with this kind of stuff?
    So far I only looked into DacFix but based off what I read about them I think I'm more comfortable dealing with it myself.

5. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    HireRight has a way for YOU to deal with it yourself...no need to use anyone else. I was going to try it but, I have heard that if there was and accident/incident and LE was involved, it gets filed. The only thing you can contest is if it was wrote up wrong.

6. Newport

Newport Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    An officer showed up, but didn't fill out an accident report or anything like that. Like I said all he did was take my name, he was gone in literally about 60 seconds.
    So basically the way I see it the only proof there was an accident was my statement when I said I may have hit it, but I later said I'm not sure I actually did... and I'm pretty sure I actually didn't... Can they put/keep something on your report like that when its up in the air whether something actually happened or not? Does innocent until proven guilty apply here? LoL.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You told about one accident, but mentioned two.
    What was the second?

8. Newport

Newport Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Well, it was totally my fault and it was preventable... I hit a guardrail.
    That incident belongs on there, but I feel like the incident with the mirror doesn't.

9. PST

PST Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2009
    USA
    Trucking firms never consider Truckers innocent, we are guilty until proved Innocent way beyond any doubt!

10. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Wow man you hit somebodies truck rather you pushed it back or ripped off the hinges its an accident and because you didn't get out and look before you heard the crunch its preventable. Your issue is more that you have less then a year and you have already been in 2 incidents. Also if you were fired because of one of those incidents. No one will want to touch you. You have to suck it up at a bottom feeder company if you can even get that gig until you can prove you can not hit fixed objects and or those other incidents have a few years put behind them.

GITRDUN45 Thanks this.
  11. Newport

Newport Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2013
    The mirror was already damaged, and that is what caused me to report it I thought that I had done that. After looking closer however, I'm absolutely positive that I didn't, it was already like that. I believe I just pushed the mirror a little bit and readjusted it, if you will, with my trailer. If I even did that much, either way one quick push with my hands in the right direction had it back in the position it should have been in. No damage was caused by me and that's the point I'm trying to make, or maybe I'm just not looking at it the right way.
    Yes I'm aware 2 incidents with less then a year is bad, it happened though, all I can do is chock it up to inexperience and press on. It would be nice to get the mirror incident off but really after thinking about it more I think I'm just going to let it go.
    I have a job so I'll just be careful not to let anything like that happen again and work on making my record look a little nicer by getting more experience behind me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.