Attention all rookies and wannabes: Local Jobs for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7122894003481, Jan 14, 2012.

1. BucketOKarma

BucketOKarma Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT

I tried PM'ing but my post count is still to low. Could you PM or tell me on here what company the "North east regional" where you started as a forklift operator was? The description you gave is pretty much EXACTLY what I'm looking for currently. Thanks in advance for any intel.

Separate subject:
    I would like to haul fuel, since it's something I have actual experience with (5years military fuel hauling, 2years military flatbed, w/deployments), but I haven't gotten the tankers and hazmat endorsements yet on my CDL because I was told to wait until I find a company willing to hire that requires them before wasting my time and money if I get hired by a place that doesn't require them, and even if I have them, stateside fuel companies do not consider military driving as "experience".

BTW: I don't drive 5-ton or 7-ton military trucks, I drive regular old frieghtliners with bad paint, on the road here in the states, and wherever I'm told to overseas. I do have road time, as well as combat operations time, line-haul/OTR hauling fuel. I also have an up-to-date hazmat (on my mil-lic, not on my CDL). So why won't companies/insurance count that as time?

I'm not trying to sound whiney, as if the world owes me something. I'm just trying to say that I have been doing this for years, I have been to multiple schools and courses, and I have hauled mōgas on some of the most dangerous roads in the world. I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone else either, just frustrated at the "system".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    updem Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldRoadie

OldRoadie Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Hey All,

THANK YOU for all your posts!... I've read ALL 251, and can say this is the best education to date on what/how/where to become a Driver. With all that said.......

I applied on-line yesterday for both Schneider and CR England. Got a callback form Schneider this morning, and CR England this evening. I did some research a few months ago, and CR England was always getting bad reviews. Decided to "give it a try" anyways.

Schneider sent me thru the first "phone interview" and just e-mailed them my information for their background check. Awaiting their reply. They are interested in giving me a "full ride" and only ask for six months repay time. They work with MTC training, and MTC says four to six weeks of training, and then they hand me off to the Schneider training program, but at least I'll be earning pay after the initial four to six week MTC training.

CR England will get a call from me tomorrow informing them I will not pursue their offer of training in Indiana, after all the crap i read on line about their operation.

I'm excited about going OTR and liked the earlier quote about QUALITY vs. QUANTITY home time....

So...... Comments about Schneider and their operation would be appreciated!

Thanks again for all your informative posts, and I'll also document my initial "paying my dues" time as a professional driver......

4. Sinistercane

Sinistercane Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Con-way recruiter told me flat out that I have to do OTR for a year before I can run LTL, dedicated or regional with them

5. carina

carina Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2012

Thank you for your post. Any companies you might suggest for regional?

JCB & Associates Thanks this.
  6. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I would never pull containers.. half a day to get a chasis, and half a day to get the container for a 3 hour run, just awesome!

JCB & Associates Thanks this.
  7. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010

has retired.

so don't expect him to answer.

but ..

Good Luck !

JCB & Associates and carina Thank this.
  8. Sinistercane

Sinistercane Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I have a clean record and background and have applied to several local job in Jacksonville and still no dice, any advise? Everybody asking for 6 to 1 year of OTR

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    it's not a matter of being OTR. it's a matter of can you drive a truck. no one wants someone that's gonna break transmissions.

10. frannyde

frannyde Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Florida
  11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    A lot of companies are asking for 1 year current or at least 6 months. Not to say you can't find something but they make it hard. If you want local you will probably have to work on the dock somewhere for a while. Or just suck it up and do your one year OTR like a lot of us had to do. It's not that bad. I just kept saying "It's only a year, I can make it" I ended up having a blast out there. That was in 1997 though. Things sure have changed. Good luck

Sinistercane Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.