Attention all rookies and wannabes: Local Jobs for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7122894003481, Jan 14, 2012.

1. tarmackfloat

tarmackfloat Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2013
    New Jersey
    Ok i have question for yall in this thread. What companies are willing to reimburse a driver for getting fingerprinted for Hazmat endorsement? My current issue is that ijust got my Class A with all other endorsements on monday (except hazmat. passed the written test but didnt get fingerprinted) I had applied to a few companies while i was in class and one of them that called back was SNI, everything appears to be good to go with signing on with them till they said i MUST HAVE my hazmat endorsement BEFORE i can get the job. I just spent alot of money out of pocket finishing school and was just wondering if there were companies out there that would hire a potential employee and pay for the fingerprinting. (BTW, this is for a tanker job and i live in Jersey). And before anyone says the tanker driving fresh out of school is a no-no speech, just know this is something i feel like i would be comfortable doing...but with that being said, all input is greatly appreciated :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CUZO420

CUZO420 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Ok, i have been working for aaa cooper for 3 years, i got my cdl's thru the company in january, but it took awhile for all the testing, which i paid for out of pocket. I have hazmat and doubles and triples, with a current medical card and everything, i was a driver in training with aaa cooper for the past 8 months since january, i was considered for a dedicated jacksonville position, but didnt get it, an now i found out that the manager wont verify that i have been driving for them the past 8 months, and he's telling them that i was only a dockworker, but i've driven over 17,000 miles for them since january as a casual driver, but they wont verify that!! I've applied to over 20 companies, only to have them turn me down repeatedly, an alot of companies that i talked to told me that this manager from aaa cooper told them that i was only a dockworker, and for the last 4/5 months i was a dockworker for a hour, then i would drivethe rest of the night in an out of state, 10-12 hrs a day, but every job i've applied to have turned me down, how can i get around this mes? I've been unemployed now for a month, and its killin me, im just ready to go to work!!! Does any one have any other insight?

4. Razor Strike

Razor Strike Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    I sold my car to pay for my CDL course and I Passed everything on the written test on 4 tries and it took two tries to pass the road test and air brakes. All it took for me was 6 months, 2 months for all written test and 4 months at a trucking school to get some driving experience for the road test. Had my CDL for 2 months and still looking for work. Need to know if anyone knows of any good local driving jobs in New jersey that hire ex-felons.

5. FONE

FONE Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Lithia Springs, GA
    Don't know about the other DC's but the Atlanta Fastenal hub will put people through CDL school, paid in full, if you've been working the dock for a while. I worked in shipping and receiving for right at 2 years, we were down drivers, and the traffic manager + HR came down on the dock asking folks if they'd be interested in being a trucker. I said hell yeah and they not only paid my tuition in full but also paid me my hourly wage while I was in class cuz I missed work for it. I paid for very little. Even carpooled with a coworker to school so I didn't have to pay all the gas myself haha You don't get any better than that!! If I can help it, I'll never go OTR!

P.S. - Don't let unloading your own freight be a deterrent. A little hard work won't kill you and it's good to get out of the driver's seat once in a while and move around.

6. Razor Strike

Razor Strike Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    Does anyone know which local companies will hire new drivers with a CDL Class a clean license in felony background in New Jersey. Preferably around Newark New Jersey

7. chris886

chris886 Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Most likely NONE of them. You have a very slim to none chance of getting a local job with no experience and a FELONY. You will even have a hard time getting an OTR job. Probably going to have to start OTR with a low paying company to get experience then try to work your way up, but the felony is really going to make things difficult for you.

Razor Strike Thanks this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    This is simply not true. Why are you blabbering on about OTR?
    I've worked with a former convicted murder spent 17 years in state penn and countless others starting out with a local waste hauler.

They hustled more then I did. I had nothing to lose.

9. chris886

chris886 Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you worked for a ###### company. Every company I have seen says either no felonies ever or none in 7 years.

10. redbone04

redbone04 Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Loves Park, IL

I am with you but I still have two young ones at home...also at my age not so sure the union LTL's would take me? I will probably get laid off in the spring and am going to need training so of course have been getting approvals from training companies that require otr then regional which is ok, but would be nice to have some kind of pension too.

11. funderj

funderj Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Lancaster, SC
    This wannabe / thinking about becoming a trucker appreciates your post.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.