Attention all rookies and wannabes: Local Jobs for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7122894003481, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    I started with hauling corn and tatoes for local farms. Now just finished getting endorsed to drive local school bus and again home every nite

unless driving for events. Starting pay was the same as hauling beverages. Didn't think I'd ever consider bus driving but its working

for me and have part time job OTR in the summer when school is out. Again never crossed my mind while I was in school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PALOU

PALOU Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    OTR
    Hey ,merry christmas
    I was realy glad reading your posts to know that the OTR thing is not a 100% necessary.
    Beginning thursday ,i will try to take a look at those LTL companies you pointed me .
    I have class A with all endorsements and i'm in atlanta ,ga...realy hope i can find something local cause my situation wont let me go for days or weeks. The other thing is that some drivers said they been driving for years and they never did OTR ever.I just hope i can do the same
    I send many apps and after christmas i will start calling and going to those terminal and try to talk to managers or to who ever i can talk to.
    Monday a local company interviewed me for a delivery driver position paying $12/H ...it's a bit short but what can i do? I'm new and i need to get behind the wheel before i forget everything i learned at school.
    Happy hollidays!

4. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Try looking at concrete mixer jobs. Some are year round jobs with great benefits and pay up to $70,000 a year. I started at $18 then moved to $19 and soon $20 top is about $23.30. 50-70 hours a week. I have my class A but let's face it class B is a cake walk in a lot of aspects. Mixers are just top heavy.

5. PALOU

PALOU Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    OTR
    Did you need experience for that?
    Down here people ask for experience for everything ...even in pizza delivery(need 3 years exp)..Lol
    no just playing

6. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Not really. Some places want 2 years of experience some companies are desperate for drivers and will take any one. Check aggregate industries or search monster or truilla for mixer driver jobs and you may be surprised. I actually got hired by just looking in the yellowpages for redi mix and called them and was hired the next day and trained in 2 weeks.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I thought about this but I am not sure I wouldn't get stuck somewhere. Watching a couple of them a few months back try to get through a muddy lot to pour, I came to the conclusion they were lucky.

8. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Ya it happens, but in reality you are paid by the hour so no loss. Everyday has its challenges but most jobs are that way cuz not everyday will be the exact same. We never get rain so mud is not a problem as much here. If you want local just get into something start calling construction companies paving companies. Good luck

9. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Driver ....you listed every LTL company and then called them all bottom feeders ?....truth is these are cream of the crop companys ...most of these companys starting wage at 17$ AN HOUR ....heres a hint ready?....by the HOUR
    ....anytime you run by the mile or by the load ...YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR ### PERIOD ...somthing to remember!!!
    but be ready to work ....but at the end of your day you park the truck and go home in your OWN BED ...every day!!!....

10. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ....can't say that but it only took me about 14 months of OTR to figure out OTR IS NOT WORTH IT!!!..the money is just not there
    Yes it does beat the heck out of working for some non paying factory job with some scary jerk breathing down you're neck

11. curious cy

curious cy Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2014
    I enjoyed reading your message till I seen central listed as a bottom feeder... I start cdl training there next wk...lol. Nervous as to why.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.