auto truck bs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IKESALE, Nov 10, 2015.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    One of the benefits of the Volvo and Detroit is the engines and transmissions are designed around each other while Eaton is a one size fits all compromise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I don't understand why Allison can't just pop an automatic 3 speed auxillary section onto one of their 5 speeds and make a 15. I think their torque ratings are up to around 1650 now. Probably would be a hell of a lot nicer than an automated manual.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Rockwell marketed a 12 and 16 speed transmission called Freedomline, that wasn't as bad as the Eaton offerings in 2 pedal, but court action shut them out of our market. You can guess who took them to court.
    I was stuck with a 10 speed Ultra, only thing I can add is the coast feature was bad, so bad, that in stop and go downhill, it would re-engage so hard that it would shift the load, and I named the truck Sunfish, for the bucking sideways maneuver horses try to throw a rider with.

The Freedomline was better, shifted much better, but I only drove one a couple of times.

The lease company is now buying Evolution Cascadias with the dt12, but I only just saw the first of those, and the guy driving it wasn't used to it yet enough to know if he would drive it long term.

5. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014

6. Greatest.Driver.On.Earth!

Greatest.Driver.On.Earth! Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Try driving it without shoes..to get an idea,how little throttle you need,to engage creeper gear.
    Very little throttle is needed..give the truck the feather throttle,in a second or two,the truck will move perfectly.
    There is a skill,to driving an auto.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    The iShift is decent, the problem we are having with them is burning up the clutch before even 200k, had a few shift sensors go out and everytime it dies on the road its a automatic tow, and those get spendy real quick.

Eaton is fun to watch people try to use.

The ones in Fliners seems decent but they love to bunny hop into tlrs they are hooking up to.

8. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Valid point. I will swear that the 2 pedal Eatons in our old 386's perform better than the Eatons in our 2015 Prostars. Guessing PCM programming plays a big role in that, and being International got nothing else right with the Maxxforce series i'd imagine that's a big factor in it.

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Probably be too heavy.

10. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Eaton auto are crap. Crap crap crap.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I drive an auto equipped Mack, using the M-Drive trans. Have not had a single issue with backing, mtn. driving, or burnouts. Typically when backing under a trailer, I put it in reverse, wait it to engage and let it idle backwards, if I need to give it fuel, as little as possible. In the mtn's, I let it climb on it's own, going downhill I'll put it in manual to hold the gear I want, then I use my hill descent and never touch the brakes. When starting off on a grade, I always manually cancel the hill hold so I get a better start off.

bottomdumpin and Original Bender Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.