Automatic 5th wheel release

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jimjam38, Mar 31, 2021.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    My personal preference, give me a fifth wheel puller. However, my company put several of us in 2021 International prostars with this feature. I did some research on it prior to getting into mine. At first, no issues just did what I found in my research. Lately though it has been a pain in the butt, not wanting to release. We were told it could still be released manually, and I kept my puller for just such a situation. However, I can't get the release to budge even a centimeter. It's like that spring for the jaws is holding on with a death grip. Anyone else have issues like this? Does the spring need to be adjusted, or would that affect the locking of the kingpin?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I have a 2019 Volvo with a 5th wheel disconnect button. Almost never works. But, has a normal pull handle and that works. Every once in awhile it doesn't want to pull. I figure it is just that the kingpin and 5th wheel are jammed together the wrong way. I'll make sure my truck is pushing back on the kingpin, sometimes takes a couple of tries, but eventually my release handle will pull. Only other thing I've noticed is the effort to pull the handle is significantly more than the other 2 trucks I've had experience with (a 2016 Kenworth and 2017 Freightliner). I'm glad I don't have a bad shoulder!

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Nothing has spoiled me more than my 5th wheel release.

Secret to the Holland 5th wheel release-

Get a can of Liquid Wrench. Give the bolt sticking out the front a little shot when you disconnect.

I typically do the linkage as well. Don't do the jaws.

Enjoy.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    That's I will try that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.