Automatic chains for snow

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by droflex, Feb 16, 2013.

1. droflex

droflex Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Hey everyone. Where gonna be out of season for chains soon tho I've read a lot about chaining-up and had the following question(s):

Has anyone (owner/operator mostly) every had experience with the automatic chains that are used on school buses and fire/city trucks?

I've never seen them on a semi but it would be harder to see them hanging under the rig.

Can they be used on a semi (tractor)? Is there a law that says they can't be used or will they simply not work?

Thanks.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I have seen ads for auto truch chains, so I know the exist. No exp with them though.

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    June 1st isn't exactly "soon." I've seen stickers on a couple of local trucks that say auto chains... I think that's all they had though. Stickers. No sign of any equipment.

5. droflex

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Here's a link for the instachain sight (not an advertisement from me, there are at least a couple manufactures):

http://www.insta-chain.com/?page_id=15

Carrying the minimum number of conventional chains would still be required but from what I'm reading it would not be against the law to use them.

They seem much safer for the driver and can be deployed for varying conditions.

This is for Washington state (my state):

Minimum Chain Requirement

All vehicles over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) shall carry a minimum of two (2) extra chains for use in the event that road conditions require the use of more chains or in the event that chains in use are broken or otherwise made useless,
    WAC 204-24-050 (2) (f).

Approved chains for vehicles over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight shall have at least two side chains to which are attached sufficient cross chains of hardened metal so that at least one cross chain is in contact with the road surface at all times. Plastic chains shall not be allowed. The Washington State Patrol may approve other devices as chains if the devices are equivalent to regular chains in performance (cable chains allowable).

Diagram of proper chain placement (pdf 20kb) for different axle configurations

On the following routes all vehicles and combinations of vehicles over 10,000 poundsshall carry sufficient tire chains to meet the requirements from November 1 to April 1 of each year or at other times when chains are required for such vehicles:

• I-90 between North Bend (MP 32) and Ellensburg (MP 101)
    • I-82 between Ellensburg Exit 3 (MP 3.00) and Selah Exit 26 (MP 26.00)
    • SR-97 between (MP 145) and Junction
    • SR-2 SR-2 between Dryden (MP 108) and Index (MP 36)
    • SR-12 between Packwood (MP 135) and Naches (MP 187)
    • SR-97 between junction SR-14 (MP 4) Columbia River and Toppenish (MP 59)
    • SR-410 from Enumclaw to Naches
    • SR-20 between Tonasket (MP 262) and Kettle Falls (MP 342)
    • SR-155 between Omak (MP 79) and Nespelem (MP 45)
    • SR-970 between (MP 0) and (MP 10)
    • SR-14 (MP 18) to Junction 97 (MP 102)
    • SR-542 Mt Baker Highway between (MP 22.91) and (MP 57.26)
    Vehicles making local deliveries as indicated on bills of lading and not crossing the mountain pass are exempt from this requirement if operating outside of chain required area.
    The Washington State Department of Transportation or Washington State Patrol may prohibit any vehicle from entering a chain/approved traction tire control area when it is determined that the vehicle will experience difficulty in safely traveling the area.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. droflex

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Hehe. Oops. I forgot that winter goes that far into the year in some parts.

I'm from Western Washington and in another month the heaters won't be used much anymore.

That's what I would have to get used to when driving though. The crazy changes of weather from one day to the next (or less).

That would be another great reason to use those auto chains if a person is an owner/operator. You wouldn't have to put chains on and take 'em off every other day going from weather condition to the next.

This might have all been crazy thinking on my part. The things are only about $1000 (maybe more for a semi) but if it saved a guy a few hours and a little back breaking work sludging around in the snow I think it would be worth it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It looks like a cool concept.
    A weed-whacker on steroids, flinging strands of chain under the tires.

I have doubts as to how well they would assist braking, especially since the video I watched showing them in action included zero braking action.
    It was all 10-15 MPH driving straight or in mild corners.

Chains are, for me, to get out of trouble if needed - not to plow through dangerous conditions.
    If I have to chain it means that I didn't anticipate my future driving conditions correctly.

I think these auto-chains will give drivers a false sense of security, and thus create more accidents.

Numb Thanks this.
  8. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Search youtube there are some vids. The negative i have heard is they only work if truck is rolling. If your stuck they do no good. Was told they dont work well in deep snow.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. hayseed

hayseed Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    The Natural State
    That's just the neatest thing ever!!! Don't know how well they work, but looks like a great idea.

10. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    im not sure about automatic chains, States like CO have chain requiremnets spelled out what type they will deam acceptable for use. Ijust see where those style would be a benefit.

11. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    These could work decently if you could lift one axel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.