Automatic transmission only CDL training in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by aaronc879, Dec 23, 2018.

1. aaronc879

aaronc879 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I live in the Appleton area(Fox Valley). So that's almost 1.5 hours from Richfield. I assume they have a dorm type area for students to stay. Food and lodging at no cost? Is that 15,000 miles all without a break? That must be around 5-6 weeks. Any chance a trainer would let me have the lower bunk, maybe with a small bribe? Not sure how I would get up to the top with my bad leg. I won't be 1 year post op until May so I probably wouldn't be looking to go to school until then.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    They put students up in a hotel in Germantown, but you'd be allowed to drive back and forth each day if you'd want. How they handle that I'm not sure. Lunch is provided each day, and bfast is free at the hotel. How often you get hometime during those 15,000miles depends on your trainer and how often he goes home. As far as getting the bottom bunk Im not exactly sure how I or other trainers would handle that lol I'd have to think about it if you were my student but if you say something to Millis upfront they may talk to a trainer who wouldnt care. Honestly if you cant get up to the top bunk idk how you'd be able to step up into the trailer to strap the loads in. Maybe a small step stool to make the step up to the top bunk smaller would be needed? Im sure Millis could figure oit something.

4. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    As for not being ready till May that's not a problem since I know Richfield classes are full up till March right now.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had the same surgery because I use the clutch for one and I moved truck loads of freight daily, sometimes twice daily or nightly. (Root cause Osteo Arthritis and a destroyed hip joint.)

You are pretty much out of driving for a period of time. Follow up with your Bone Surgeon who installed your joint to see where you are. It is quite possible that trucking is no longer part of the picture. One bad bridge bouncing you across cab will undo everything you have endured to this point. Not to mention sliding tandems, pulling landing gear out of mud etc.

Hip replacements are designed to give you just a freedom from a walker, cane and wheel chair. It is NOT designed to take on heavy physical stuff like trucking, foot ball etc. You will pretty much destroy it very early and have to replace it again.

Engineers have not started to design hip joints that are capable of taking on martial arts, football and shifting etc in a big truck. They may have to sooner or later as Society goes through a increasing number of them in the late 40's and early 50's which is about 20 to 25 years ahead of expected onset of need for this.

Also one other thing.

The hip replacement means that your pain management did fail and combined with a busted bone or joint that was replaced, you will do well to wait a period of time before you expose yourself to drug testing.

These are not trolling, these are hard facts as explained to me by several layers of professionals in the run up to surgery. I am allowed to bowl after 6 months and horse about that time. Sailing after a year. However there are large do nots on paper right now for me both temporary and permanent.

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Its more that that.. sitting and riding in a truck is really wearing on hips also... Just know that going in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.