Automatic trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by krisjack, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbed Canuck

Disturbed Canuck Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    I think you're terribly wrong. I don't think that shifting a transmission is a skill but I do think that by removing that and replacing it with an auto shift transmission, the trucking world becomes "simpler" and is one more step to becoming a $8/hour job for just anyone.

It's not a skill, it's an extra hurdle that some people either are not willing to jump or are unable...mostly always unwilling if either. If I am going to shell out a few thousand dollars to become a part of an industry, I would like to know that it is not about to be flooded with cheap labour and that companies are not colluding to make that labour shift happen faster.

It's already happening in Canada with the East Indian influx of truckers on the west coast and it's happening to an even greater degree in the states. I am simply concerned that once the trucks get easy enough to drive, companies will be trying to slam any tom dick or harry into the seat with little consideration for the safety of the driver or other motorists. They probably won't realize how bad an idea it is until their insurance premiums rise to an incredible degree but at that point, who cares. A trucker's just making as much as the kid at McDonalds right? Costs have already been cut.

Cheers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    With the price of fuel being what it is and trucking companies being the money hungry animals they are, autoshift trucks will be close to industry-wide sooner rather than later.

US Xpress recruiter told us in school last week that autoshift saved them $2 million in fuel last year. Plus drivers are less fatigued, able to concentrate more on driving, and are safer using autoshift (fewer wrecks, repairs, liability, lawsuits, etc.)

Almighty dollar talks.

4. Disturbed Canuck

Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    If the numbers are indeed showing a safer segment of the industry to be cropping up I stand corrected. I would want to see those numbers though.

Cheers

5. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I'm going to disagree at this point. Shifting gears in a semi truck is a skill. If everyone on the planet could just get into a semi, sit down and start shifting it, then it wouldn't be a skill. Instead, a lot of people have no clue how to shift a semi tranny and with all the grinding I'm hearing in city traffic every day, I'll assume that many never DO quite get it.

Referring to another point, the reason drivers don't want to use the clutch isn't because it's "difficult to start out", lol. I mean, let's get serious. You have the thing in 1st or whatever gear, let out the clutch and that's the end of it. What's so hard about that? The point is that I don't NEED that kind of workout every day, all day long. That is, using the clutch to shift into EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' GEAR. I did that a LONG time ago - it was hurting my knees and I hated it. Why use the clutch - WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO?

Just a question.

6. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    ... Me too! Cause I had two recruiters tell me the autos were not working out better for their companies, nor did they get better mileage as hoped. Said they were going back to manual because they were cheaper and did not have any more clutch repairs than the automatics. Surely my recruiters didn't tell me something that was not true?!? Or did they?!? :biggrin_25511:

7. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    ... For me personally if I have to push in a clutch to stop and push in a clutch to take off, I have no problem using the clutch between those two circumstances. Stops and starts are what wears on the knees having to hold the clutch in for longer periods of time. Or at least thats how it is for me.
    <> BUT <> :biggrin_25524:
    ... Ever heard of floating the gears? Other than first gear, you don't have to actually use the clutch. I believe it can even be done with downshifting, although I am not sure I have ever done downshifting like that. It is all in the rpm and smoothness of shifting. :biggrin_25525:

""The point is that I don't NEED that kind of workout every day, all day long. That is, using the clutch to shift into EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' GEAR. I did that a LONG time ago - it was hurting my knees and I hated it. Why use the clutch - WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO? ""

8. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    I drive the west coast until my present job, just got back from L.A. this afternoon. The company I used to work for had several autos in their fleet. Never had a bit of trouble on the Grapevine. You can lock them in the gear you want to go down the hill in, On the south side of the "grape" it's 40 mph, then you can use your jakes and get to the bottom in one piece. But like any trans your not used to driving you play with it and learn how to make it work for you. I just started a new job this last run. should have seen me trying to figure out how to get my new 18 top two to get me down the road. Good thing the boss wasn't with me. I wound up driving it like a 13 and everything worked out just fine. But every time I left a stop sign or stop lite, I played with getting tru the trans a different way till I found one that worked best for me. you will have to do the same. Be safe and keep trucking safe!!!!:biggrin_255:

9. Disturbed Canuck

Mar 13, 2008
    Saskatoon, SK
    Not every one on the planet can sit down and figure out how to work a sealing press in a meat packing plant either but that doesn't make the press operator a skilled labourer. Shifting gears in a semi is not a skill, it is a task which some one can be trained to do and as with any task, some people just can't do it right or their training sucks and so they develop bad habits in relation to that task.

Electricians are skilled labour because they can do something that certainly no one else can do without the same level of complex training or related experience. Not just anyone can become an elictrician, plumber, welder what have you.

Shifting gears in a semi as a skill? Maybe in the most broad and liberal definition of the term.

Cheers

10. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "I think you're terribly wrong." "the trucking world becomes "simpler" and is one more step to becoming a $8/hour job for just anyone"

that's pretty much what I said - an auto makes the job simpler. as far as wages becoming depressed, that's going to happen anyway and it won't have anything to do with the type or tranny in the truck.

Why use the clutch - WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO?

why sling a gear shift around when you don't need to?

11. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Maybe being a company driver requires little skill (no offense) try being an O/O. We just don't drive the truck, we run a business or is that not a skill?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.