Automatics what's your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by purpleprime, Oct 21, 2015.

1. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Question. It's now July 2016. What is the fleet like? Are they mostly automatics? a mix? If you want to drive an autoshift later, why try with 10 speed? I ask because i'm choosing where to go now. PLEASE do not waste your time or mine just picking on or being a jerk with smarta$$ comments. I have my reasons, and i'm asking nicely. I would like to go with Prime and drive flatbed. I would also like to get into the lease plan,..then possibly the lease purchase. I DO want an autoshift okay. I have researched and i'm not looking to debate or why 10 or 13's are better. I have decided. I want to know if i want automatic, then can i go with a autoshift trainer, and THEN when i get a truck company or lease,..can i pick a autoshift OR if your a company driver, do you take what they give. I know it's a lot, it's important to me right now, Thank you IN ADVANCE.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    The fleet is still mostly 10-speed & will be for probably another year or so. Keep in mind, you don't replace 7,000 trucks quickly. They're phased out. Most of us have 3-4 year leases. Personally, I have 3 years remaining on my 4 year lease (tanker). If I were to quit, it's not like they would sell my truck - they would have someone else lease my truck for those last 3 years. Good luck to you

Chucktshoes Thanks this.
  3. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    There are some trainers in autos out there already but you need to know that you will test in a 10spd. Also, as of right now I do not personally know of any company drivers in autos as they go to the lease ops first. Like Moose said, changing over is a process and we are only about a year into it.

4. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Prime only started ordering autos in for 2017 onward. I was placed in a 2016 Cascadia with a 10-spd this spring, and it only had 106k on it which means I'll have this truck for at least another two years. Prime has also given their lease-purchase contractors the option to order 10-spds in their trucks for a 2k deposit, so they aren't going away anytime soon.

5. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    I'd prefer to have a stick

Chucktshoes Thanks this.
  6. swervyjoe

swervyjoe Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    I did TNT in an auto. I'm glad to back in a 10 speed.

7. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Why?

gillz107 Thanks this.
  8. swervyjoe

swervyjoe Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    Which part? I didn't know he had an auto and didn't have much of a choice. Autos suck in the mountains and I never could stand an auto in any vehicle I've owned. Out of 40 some odd cars and pickups I've have 2 automatics.

darthanubis and Chucktshoes Thank this.
  9. the gypsie

the gypsie Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Most of these posts are egocentric not about automatics. Wasted many minutes of my life, trying to understand the pros/cons of autos. Instead I mostly found out the wages of Denver electricians and what it means to be a "professional".

Just my two cents seems to me that the lifestyle would be the hardest part of this profession. They driving gets second nature with time as I'm sure you professionals can understand. When I tell people I'm switching careers to otr trucking the number 1 comment is you are never gonna be home. Not aren't you gonna be scared driving a 80k lbs vehicle at 62mph. The answer to that is btw yes at least at first. If autos help I'm all for it.
    Do the autos hold gears while in downhill grades like manuals do? Better mpg makes good Cents...lol. but are they as easy/safe to manage? Someone mentioned backing. My truck(Silverado) that pulls a fifth wheel is an auto and it backs fine. Is there a major difference between commercial and passenger automatics.

Maybe one day I'll be endowed with the professionalism of some of these posters, but for now I'm still at the applicant stage.

10. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    Does your Silverado have 500 hp & 1700 lb-ft of torque routed through a 10, 13 or 18 speed gearbox with hi & low speed reverse? If not, yeah, it's a little different

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.