Autonomous Paccar trucks hit the road with FedEx deliveries

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Hollywoodsaint, Sep 25, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Why don’t trucks use the spinning chains like fire trucks use ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Let me tell to djoo, all concerned and sarcastic. Dvrls trucks WILL be around in few decades, BUT, they will run only dedicated routes: FedEx, UPS, local back and forth runs, ports (maybe to take containers out to the public), in a CLEAR weather and NOTHING more. There is no such thing as XRay camera as of yet to melt the ice/snow and clear the fog.
    Flatbed, reefer, van cross country, regional, local, store, company and such deliveries, etc., with random pick up delivery as it is right now will NEVER go away. Dvrls trucks are just a gimmick (Makani anyone?), scare crow, just like green energy, which works only in certain conditions, cost more to make and maintain and so on.
    Relax, do your thing with confidence and let them play, big boys like big toys)

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    What is the carrier's policy on driving mode (autonomous versus manual) in inclement weather?

And I presume that you have to drive the truck manually while at shippers and consignees, right? So when do you engage autonomous mode, when you are on surface streets or only when you are on controlled-access highways?

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  5. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Then run across 24, head up 97 to PG, make a run into the bush a few hundred kms, and return to the mill with a load on.
    Hopefully it has a bunch of robot arms to toss chains on the tires, and throw wrappers over the load.

alds and BennysPennys Thank this.
  6. jdiesel3406

jdiesel3406 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Philly area
    My carriers policy is to disengage autonomy whenever I or my right seater (person who monitors the system) ever feel uncomfortable. We never lose data for disengaging and while in manual the system is still able to log data and learn from the driver. My company never forces us to keep it in autonomy or "ride it out."

We only engage into autonomy in areas that the company has mapped. Some surface streets but mainly interstates right now. Currently once at ship/con it's business as usual, driver drops+hooks and signs or turn in bills.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. Bmack3712

Bmack3712 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2020
    I have to ask, as a 34 year old driver, should I start working on my fall-back plan or stay in the industry past 2026. Believe it or not, and I can show proof to any naysayers, I have 15 years experience (yes I am 34) and was thinking on becoming a diesel mechanic to stay in the industry.
    Also, do you have future prospects outside of driving at Aurora? I'm talking 10-20 years down the road. At the point when there really are no more drivers.

8. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    LMAO....you said no more drivers...you see military airplane drones but you still see human pilots...

can a truck throw iron and chain up?
    fuel itself?
    drive on snow and ice ?
    connect & disconnect a trailer?
    change a flat tire?
    add coolant and oil ?

Truck drivers will ALWAYS be here and in demand.
    Ive been driving since I was 21 in 1998 and seen changes in the last 25 years
    but nothing this dramatic will ever happen

9. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Yep, I saw one of those things running I45. I’m pretty sure the person in the driver seat was bobbing his head. It must have been a bump in the road.

10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    A popular myth. In truth, the federal and state governments gave the land and subsidies to the railroad construction companies, not to the railroad operating companies. The construction companies sold all the land that was worth having and left the dregs. Once the railroads were built, they borrowed everything they could against the railroad, pocketed the money, and split, leaving a new railroad company with the debt. The Union Pacific Railroad was one of the biggest con jobs in US history. They bribed every congressman and senator they could by jinking the railroad through as many districts as they could and by handing out Union Pacific stock right and left. When the railroad was completed the company was born with so much debt it went bankrupt almost immediately and all those politicians and generals got nothing.

11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Those are available for trucks. They're really expensive and I think the chains will break too easily. A bit of a maintenance headache.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.