Autonomous Vehicles

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by brian991219, Mar 2, 2017.

1. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Here's the scenario, I'm picking up my new girlfriend for an evening out. Assuming I have the choice, do I show up with the ultra-safe autonomous Uber-provided fall asleep mobile or a Dodge Challenger 707 hp Hellcat? Depending on my choice, how do I think the evening will end?
    Right or wrong, cars are status symbols, and that ain't goin away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. XYZ123

XYZ123 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2012
    You'd have to pay me more than usual to ride along in a autonomous truck. Just sitting there waiting for something to go wrong would drive me insane. But, when the technology becomes robust and safe enough and the cost per unit is reasonable, it will be dictated by the ins. companies. When it starts out you'll get a nice discount on your ins. for having/using the technology on you truck/trucks. Then once the costs come down even more and the tech becomes basically foolproof(which will be decades IMO), you wont be able to get insurance unless your truck/trucks are autonomous. IMO it will be the same way with personal vehicles eventually.

brian991219 and Ooops Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Found this "quick poll" on MSN.com, a site mostly frequented by technology oriented individuals who are largely left politically speaking. They're not too confident in fully autonomous vehicles in the real world if you put any stock in polls

Do you think self-driving vehicles will make roads more or less safe?
    • 20%
      More safe

• 58%
      Less safe

• 22%
      About the same
    Total responses: 77,589 votes

5. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I could be wrong, but there arwnt going to be autonomous trucks in the near future. Requisite technologies like the radar and adaptive braking won't even work right now. Ive been using trucks with radars since freightliner first made centuries. Have had radars in two Pete's, a Volvo, and three different models of Freightliner, and probably 6 individual freightliners including a 2015 Cascadia. Current radars are no more reliable than the first ones I've used. This one continually faults out. Silly stuff like if you are on a flat straight road with low traffic, and it goes to far with out sensing anything, it quits working and throws a fault code for "blocked sensor". And you have to stop the truck and cycle the key for it to resume. Today, on the Trans Canada just east of Edmonton, it locked down all my brakes, bringing the truck to a complete stop. I was able to steer it to the shoulder first. Good thing ABS still worked, no flat spotted tires. Oh, and the nearest vehicle in front of me at the time was 279 feet, and driving 72MPH according to the radar monitor. Couldn't even override the auto braking with the throttle pedal like usual. Actually had to shut the truck off and wait a bit before restarting in to get it to release the brakes. Nope....until they get some of this simple stuff working a whole lot better, my job will be safe from automation.

brian991219 and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    "cars are status symbols" went away with me a long tlme ago, but then again i dont revolve my life around meaningless nonsense

7. Coolbreeze100

Coolbreeze100 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Macon, GA
    Yeah, every teenaged girl in an Accura while posting selfies of her new crispy hair while darting from lane to lane at 15-20 mph over the speed limit is in an autonomous vehicle. The only problem is that vehicle doesn't know it is driverless.

spyder7723, Tropsnart, VTech and 5 others Thank this.
  8. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Yeah, but just think of the possibilities if that self driving thingamjig has a huge rear seat? Just saying!!!

9. Dominion Transportation

Dominion Transportation Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Not a fan either, one more problem to lookout for while driving . .Besides, before putting autonomous vehicles on the road in the US highways, bridges and other infrastructure need to be repaired first otherwise it's a disaster waiting to happen. Do any of you recall that I35 bridge collapse in Minn years ago?

brian991219 and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  10. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    PFF NEITHER one will work ,Helcat rly? Dude speed limit is 65 regardless on how much power you have in your car.If you want so much to impress , show up in this
    blackLincoln.png , you will have enough talk before restaurant and more fun and space after :)

11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Someone needs to get out more...

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.