average bring home pay for owner operators leased to a company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rebeloutlaw66, Oct 24, 2011.

1. rebeloutlaw66

rebeloutlaw66 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2009
    whats the average bring home pay for owner operators leased to a company pulling dry vans?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wow, this is hard to answer because 5 people can run the same loads for the same company and have a big difference.

A better question would be looking at what the gross to the truck is and then plug your numbers in to get your net.

And then on that is will still vary. What area do you live in? What type of running do you want to do? How long are you willing to stay out?

On mileage programs I have been seeing in the $1.36-$1.42 to the truck on loaded miles (based on current FSC). Percentage will range from 65%-90% depending on if you have a trailer, area and company. Find a good percentage company that has no drivers on mileage contracts (Yes, some companies give you a choice). You should have no problem finding a percentage company that can average you out at $1.60/mile on all miles. But that is assuming you are not in an area like FL and want to be home every weekend. You can still make good money on percentage in poor rate areas if you stay out a couple weeks minimum at a time.

Buck73 and SheepDog Thank this.
  4. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Some where between 50.00 and 4000.00 .

FoolsErrand, Lucar, AM77 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think you missed a zero and - sign.

-500 and ...

SheepDog and SHC Thank this.
  6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That question has too many variables to answer it correctly. Such as fuel costs, fsc paid, area the load is coming from and going to, and the biggest factor of all is DRIVER PERSONALITY and driving habits.

I know 2 brothers who do the same run every week. The older one does 3 trips a week and runs the truck smoothly. The younger one only does 2 runs (he wants Thur-Sun off) and he runs hard and gets terrible MPG. Both of them have the exact same trucks, spec'd the same, ect and the older brother makes about $1,500 more a week. And I honestly think if he only did 2 runs a week, he could still beat his brother by $300 due to the way he drives. Only way i know this is because I helped them out last fall and did the run for the older brother while he had knee surgery. He showed me his pay and his brothers pay to prove the income to me before I agreed to do the run.

But as Bill and KH said.... avg range is between -500 to 4,000

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  7. rebeloutlaw66

rebeloutlaw66 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2009
  8. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    If you tell us what you plan on hauling, and the areas where you plan to travel too, and the type of truck you will be in, we may be able to get it somewhere close...

9. Greasehauler

Greasehauler Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Minnetonka, MN
    If you're running 10K per month, your expenses including fuel and insurance (assuming you have both the truck and trailer) are about $1.20/mile. Anything over that is what you get to keep. Remember, however, the truck doesn't care if it's empty or not, so the expenses are on all miles, not only the loaded ones.

SHC Thanks this.
  10. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/ask-an-owner-operator/64679-my-numbers-o-o-leased-crete.html

John shares his numbers for several years in this thread. IMHO, based on what I have experienced and seen over the years, this is an example of hard work, dedication, good business management and a fair amount of luck. What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't plan to make any more than he did in a mileage lease. If you managed the additional factors well, a percentage lease could possibly make more.

He made around $70,000+ per year before taxes. In the earlier years with depreciation he cleared around $63,000 and latter when the depreciation was gone he cleared around $58,000. From what I read, it looks like his after tax earnings ran from just under $50,000 to just over $60,000.

Keep in mind net earnings from the business are the amount you have after all expenses and before taxes. His taxes ranged from $8,000 to $16,000 annually. If you read all 27 pages you will eventually get the full picture. He made this kind of money running 320 - 330 days a year and over 3000 miles a week. This is about the same kind of schedule that most companies try to run their drivers.

Don't think that you can run 10% less days/miles and only lose 10% of your earnings. Mileage leases require you to chase miles to make any money. You have to run lots of miles to get the cost of the fixed expenses down by spreading them over more miles. By doing this you have more per mile for yourself. Unfortunately the only winners in this situation are the oil companies and the repair shops.

He is on track to gross $203,000 this year on 145,000 miles, which is about 1.40 CPM. His net earnings are heading toward $73,000, which will be $58,000 after taxes. That is about 0.50 CPM gross drivers pay. To get an idea how delicate this balance is let's take away 10% of the miles which would leave you with about $48,000 after taxes. Now let's figure you get .5 MPG less than John. Your after tax earnings are now $43,000.

You need to set up a spreadsheet and do some calculations if you are seriously considering this. You can get something off of the OOIDA website or I have a pretty good one. IMHO, you have to run more than 2800 - 3000 per week to even be close to making enough to be worthwhile. Less than that and you just as well be a driver with less risk and worry.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    Buck73 and Captbob412 Thank this.
  11. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    After reading that last post, and checking that thread, I may sell my truck and get me a company job. I guess I am not as well off as I thought I was. Wish I could find a nice local gig for $25 hr

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.