AZ School is 5 weeks away...what to do in the meantime?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Phenomenal, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Any english only drivers work for a Quebec carrier? I'm just wondering if I should even bother researching companies like Robert, C.A.T., SGT2000, Guilbault, Morneau, Normandin since I only speak english. They are very large companies and have terminals on Ontario. Any thoughts? Perhaps the fact that some of their websites default to french should tell me something, eh? ;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Find out what training any of them offer and start applying to the ones who offer the most. Training is what you will need and should be your priority to help ensure you will get through the first year of driving. Thats how I chose who to apply with, generally if they have good training system they will be more likely to hire you fresh out of school.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    If its English or French, they honestly do not care. I know polish guys who only spoke polish/broken English that started with Robert (some went back after their "Bison Experience").

If you wanna stay in Canada, Robert. If you wanna do Canada and all the lower 48, ERB.

Or just go to ERB *hint hint*

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    The 2018 honours are awarded to the following (listed by number of years in the program):

5 years - Top Fleet Employers of Distinction:

• Bison Transport (MB) (########!)
    • Erb Transport (ON) (The ####ing BEST!)
    • Home Hardware Stores Limited (ON) (Amazing, Private Fleet, They Never Hire)
    • Kindersley Transport Ltd. (SK) (Yea Right.....Worse than Bison)
    • Kriska Holdings Ltd. (ON) (Good)
    • Logikor (ON) (Don't Know)
    • SLH Transport (ON) (Suddenly Leaves Highway)
    • Transpro Freight Systems (ON) (Don't Know)
    https://truckinghr.com/content/top-...9898311&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  6. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
  7. TransportNService

TransportNService Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Guelph, ON
    I wouldn't say this is 100% true. While I DO believe some companies sugar coat their pay package. and I also DO believe that some recruiters lie to get drivers in the seat....being a recruiter myself, I personally feel that being completely transparent and honest about what we offer, brings me more quality drivers that stay with our company. I would rather tell the truth, and hire 2 drivers, instead of lie and hire 10 drivers...Its not worth my time and effort to lie to people.

There are main things to watch for when looking for a job after you complete schooling.
    1) Make sure you understand the regions they work in. because you are in Ottawa, there are a lot of companies looking to fill positions in the ON/PQ corridor. In quebec there are a lot of Mills (based on my personal experience, freight is never ready on time, so there is a lot of sitting and waiting) - Make sure your company is clear whether they compensate you for time lost sitting & get a clear description about waiting time pay, and layover pay. Also, with that being said...there are a lot of companies that flourish by servicing the eastern seaboard. If you decide to go with one of these companies, please make sure they have a mentor program in place, or knowledgeable dispatch that will help you in areas that have several low bridges. The last thing I would want to see, is a fresh driver having a preventable accident (such as this) and putting themselves in a "non-hireable" position-when they are looking for another job elsewhere.
    2) Try to avoid companies that have incentive programs or pay packages that are "UNCLEAR" what I mean by this, is when companies say 42cpm + 2cpm safety bonus + 2cpm regional bonus. etc... From my experience most companies that limit you from your full earning potential, are typically the ones that take pennies away from you for not qualifying to their designated programs. I have experienced so many drivers that say they are told one thing, then when their pay cheque comes....they are fighting tooth and nail for what they were promised, this especially goes for compensation for expenses such as weigh scales, bridge crossing, toll roads, lumpers, etc) Make sure you go with a company that compensates you & issues you a EFS/TCHEK card- make sure they don't expect you to cover costs out of your own pocket. You wouldn't believe how many companies do. Its sad to see, but this is a prime example of companies trying to get you into a truck- promising you the world...only to put a bad taste in your mouth.
    3)Last but not least, Before accepting a position anywhere. learn more about their equipment. Is it a dedicated unit, do they slip seat? are you being assigned to a unit that someone had a pet in, or someone that smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day? Do they have a shop on site, wash bays. Do they provide the simple things like DEF, Oil, Washer Fluid, spare bulbs, salt/sand, safety vest, allowance for safety shoes, company logo'd shirts, etc. All of these things can add up and All of these things will point you in the right direction regarding finding the right fit for you. A company that appreciates their drivers is really hard to find. I'm sure some of these other truckers can agree!
    Good luck!!

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    The heavy equipment course may open some doors for you but unless you want to run equipment I would not bother.
    My friend took the CCTT course here in Thunder Bay. He said it was excellent,,,but they go through instructors. Only pays $21 per hour.
    If they ever start building the road to the Ring of Fire there will be a crapload of work for equipment operators and dirt merchants....Liberals keep saying its going to happen,,,for 10 years now

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  9. Phenomenal

Feb 12, 2018
    That's a very good point about out-of-pocket expenses. I've read many forum posts about drivers having to pay tolls and such up front then fight to get reimbursed. Like you said, it leaves a "bad taste". I'm not signing anything until I have a EFS/TCHEK card or company credit card in my hands. Thanks for all the tips. Lots to think about.

TransportNService Thanks this.
  10. Phenomenal

Feb 12, 2018

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.