AZ School is 5 weeks away...what to do in the meantime?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Phenomenal, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Oh man, this makes me think of SO many things that I didn't learn at CDL school or from my training driver.

Keep PB Blaster or WD40 or whatever for lubing the mechanisms on the underside of the 5th wheel. Do it once a month, more often in winter, to keep the 5th wheel latching and unlatching smoothly.

Get conductive grease (NAPA, AutoZone,, etc) for the contacts of the electrical pigtail, and apply some weekly, both ends.

Also once in a while lube the 5th wheel latch pins and rails, just in case you need to slide it.

When you adjust trailer tandems, ALWAYS inspect the locking pins visually after you slid the tandems. Do NOT trust that rocking it back and forth will lock all the pins. It may not.

Always always always check those blind spots 3 times before changing lanes. Always.

Man, I can go on for pages.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Backing is a tricky thing, everyone explains it a bit differently and everyone understands it a bit differently.

Search this forum for threads on backing and you will find every possible explanation there is, lol. Read 'em all and then forget them all.

Don't overthink it and it will 'click' before long.

For me the key was to focus on where the trailer tandems are going and to follow them in.

Phenomenal and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  4. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    There's a video on you tube made by swift that's decent and it does include an overhead view of the 90° dock back.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  5. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    It seems so simple now that I've figured it out but I was pulling my hair out there for awhile! I was over thinking it. duh Thanks for the tips btw. One more week then I take my road test!

BigHossVolvo and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    This guys backing videos are BAR NONE the best there are.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.