BAC limit with a cdl in a class D vehicle

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by livelikenooneelse, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Post. I got my DUI (actually charged with an OWI as it's called in the state of Iowa) on 10/16/05

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    The federal government required states about 5 years ago to lower the DUI limit to .04 for DUI ot else the state would lose their highway funds from the feds.

From a retired federal DOT officer

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I knew it was different, but the wording was gray on after.

5. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    The feds required the state to lower the limit to .04 or lose their federal highway funding. All states now have, or should have, a .04 limit I don't care what you're driving.

From a retired federal DOT officer

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Unless you are only referring to the cdl. If so, those laws were in September 2005.

I will post the laws from the state you live in

link http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/dui/section1.html

"Driving Under the Influence" is defined as operating a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol, other drugs or intoxicating compounds. In Illinois, a driver is legally considered to be under the influence if he/she has a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent or greater, has used any illegal substance, or is impaired by medication. A driver's BAC is based on the ratio of alcohol to blood or breath. However, an individual showing alcohol levels between .05 and .08 percent may be convicted of DUI if additional evidence determines that the driver was impaired.

7. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I'm not at all glad I got a DUI, and I'm the least bit proud of my stupidity that evening. However, I reckon it's a good thing I got mine when I did. Although I was still over 2 times the .08 limit.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Yes it is . I read in an LEO forum where a person that blew a .023 was convicted on a DUI less than charge . This is often an indication of combined use of drugs and alcohol .

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

That is what I was thinking about that law change in September 2005.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You are correct the Federal laws changed in 2005 but some states can set more strict standards . Recent attorney sites still define the Dui less than charge . That's why I suggested google it . The attorney's sites can't have their link posted here .

11. livelikenooneelse

livelikenooneelse Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Brookfield, WI
    I was taught that .08 was the limit with cdl for personal vehicle. If anyone thinks it's .04 could you look at Wisconsin Statutes or fed statutes and see if you can point me to the proof either way? My class would be interested in a clear answer on the question.

livelikenooneelse

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.