Back in the day . . .

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jack Smithton, Jan 8, 2010.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'm thinking of something else. It was mounted on the steer tire rim, with a gearbox, and a speedometer cable that ran up along the outside of the truck close to the door. I really didn't get a good look at where they ran the cable into the cab, it wasn't much of an interest at the time, I thought it looked stupid. :banghead: I mean it was kinda gaudy hanging off the side of a truck like that.

I just remember it was all chrome, gearbox was kinda bullet shaped, chromed heavy duty spedo cable. I asked the driver what it was and he said it was for a speedometer that would go above 95. I think there was another name but can't remember.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    wore out and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  4. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    We would put a rubber band over the two points, so the recorded speed would show less space between the points, therefore a slower speed. I think any key would open the cover. When you opened the cover, the door would slice the edge of the paper disc, but that was never a problem. I saw a viewer for the tachograph discs, whereby the reviewer could look at the disc with a magnifying glass to analyze it. But almost everybody just wanted to see that you got the job done, got there on time or close. The insurance companies had zero input into the whole dynamic.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Great thread!
    I remember the 76 truck stops. I thought the Sawyer MI 76 and the Elkton, MD (Liberty Bell) 76 had good restaurants.

A lot has been said here about there used to be respect between drivers themselves, and between truckers and the general public.
    I don't know when exactly truckers became the "bad guys" to the four wheelers. But as far as stopping to help one--well.....One time I was going along the Interstate, can't remember where, lots of gradual ups and downs and broad curves, about 3am, when this black sports car goes flying by me, then gets on its brakes, still in the left lane, drives right beside my cab for about a minute, then goes zooming off again. About 5 miles down the road, I see a black sports car on the road side with the hood up, two guys under the hood, watching me and not looking at the engine, and a young lady in a very short black skirt and heels trying to flag me down. Sorry, just doesn't look right. If you got a car like that I'll bet you have AAA. If I'm up on one of those state highways in New Hampshire, snow flyin' and night comin' and a minivan with mom, dad, and a couple of toddlers then for sure I'm stopping. Any metro area....nope. If that makes me an a-hole then so be it.

As far as truckers helping truckers....Well, when I got my first OTR job I was proud as could be. I was part of the brotherhood! I pull into a rest area and there's this flatbedder re-tarping his load. "'Morning, driver, can I help in any way?" Looks at me like I'm writing him a ticket, and says "NO!!!" Well, okay. maybe he's having a bad day. Off I go down the road. Pull into a truck stop, and see a van driver having OBVIOUS DIFFICULTY backing into a parking space. After 3 or 4 minutes he's still not lined up right. So I go over and ask him, through his OPEN DRIVERS DOOR, if he wants me to watch his blind side for him. "NO!! I GOT IT!!!" Well, okay, I think, as I walk away, except that you obviously DON'T "got it".
    I learned a lot from the old hands using the "Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut" rule. But I'd ask questions if I didn't know, and often had to endure a round of ribbing and abuse, but then one of those old boys would show me the right way.
    One time I was asking our senior man about a MC331 trailer we had that had some tricky unloading quirks. I took written notes while he talked, and at the end said "Well, thanks, Walt. I hope I got it." Walt refilled my coffee, gave me a little punch on the shoulder and said "You're a good kid. Keep the rubber on the road and you'll do fine."

High praise from a crusty old hand.....

6. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    I'll throw my .02 in, I think drivers started loosing respect when deregulation came in the early 80's, less then qualified people came aboard in the late 80's early 90's.

7. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I drove this U for awhile, and yeah she would run....Took a little while to get used to the straight 5, but it was all Mack....
    Scan_Pic0003.jpg

rank Thanks this.
  8. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Yeah the good old days...Those that lived them now have bad backs and lost their hearing. :)

just_sayin and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My back hurts just looking at that thing. :biggrin_2556:

Lepton1 and rank Thank this.
  10. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

No I would have been happy to been in that compared to the old IH 4070 I drove or the Emeryville also.

‘Olhand and rank Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I really do not know when it changed. I retired back in 98 and back then it was still the same. The only difference was we did not stop for any one. We drove gasoline tankers and when you stopped your truck ended up in Mexico. However, common sense told us when out on the highway if a car was broke down we helped. It a shame that things have gotten so bad out there. But, I believe that truck driving schools put a damper on a lot of things. I have never seen so many drivers up on the bumper of a car and disregard for safety. I know there's a few good drivers but you need to say a word to them about safety. I do believe that is where the other drivers look down on.

Lepton1, homeskillet and Air Cooled Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.