Back on the road. Lease purchase with JB Hunt

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by UturnGirl, Oct 28, 2017.

1. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    The torment of orientation has ended at last. Not going to bore you with details. Enjoyed hanging with other drivers. One driver got sent home due to failing hair test. That was unsettling. At least they bought him a ticket home.
    Got all the company stickers and ezpass etc. Then they sprung for another night in the hotel for all of us even though we could have slept in our trucks.
    After hearing the options I decided to go for percentage of load instead of by the mile. It's only 65% but we will get 100% fuel $ charged to customer. I'm looking forward to first load like a kid at christmas.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Not what I was expecting from a mega lease. % pay is a good first step.
    I’ll be following along

RERM and UturnGirl Thank this.
  4. UturnGirl

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Well today was spent seeking the shy and elusive empty trailer. After several false sightings one was finally captured.

5. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I don’t miss trailer hunting at all. I think that’s what the Hunt part of JB stands for.

6. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    65% goes to the truck. Is there a trailer fee? If not, that is close to Landstar numbers if I’m not mistaken. You could do well, but it’s a double edged sword when you must rely on a dispatcher for loads, who hopefully doesn’t compete with company drivers for loads. Stay on good terms if you can, it will save you headaches in the future

Veryblessed Thanks this.
  7. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Problem with JB is that there 65% could come out less than per mile. Landstar with their trailer is 71 to 73% and you pick your freight and set your price.

Veryblessed and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  8. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    U pick freight - from what is offered- and you set price, and I'd your price is too high, the freight goes on the load board , where they might find a real dumas to haul it cheap.

Landstar agents are not beholden to Landstar drivers, actually, the reverse is true

Veryblessed Thanks this.
  9. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    When the economy is going up, the lease purchase can be a way up the ladder, if you have no other choices.

I hope Uturngirl pays it off and takes it home before the next downturn. An up economy doesn't last forever, a well maintained truck can make money in several upturns

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  10. UturnGirl

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Cybercat I will be learning as I go and as promised will post truthfully on this thread what I get.
    On a slightly different note I wish I had someone to lay odds with on which members of the lp orientation class would burn out in 6 months or less. Most of them had unrealistic expectations.

Farmerbob1 and Cybercat Thank this.
  11. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    If you didn't have a truck, landstar was never a option.
    Baby steps cybercat!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.