Back to trucking and leave corporate aggravation

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hyrate, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I've had my CDL for 25 years. Worked for a company as a driver and climbed the ladder to an executive position. The mental BS and stress has me considering going back to driving via owning my own truck. I see pros and cons, but really looking to see opinions on the best owner operator opportunities in the midwest to help me determine if I want to make this move. Would you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Your options will be completely dependent on how long it’s been since the last time you drove a truck. Keeping your CDL current and having recent verifiable experience are two very different things.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    That’s exactly what I did 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. Got my CDL in 92 drove local for 2 years then up the ladder with a tie on until 3 years ago. Drove another guys truck for about 9 months and now I’m leased on to him.

5. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Thanks Sixshooter. My position is currently in transportation on a corporate level, at which I have operated throughout the last 10 years when needed. I am a guy who will jump in and do the job when there is nobody there to do it just to take care of the customer. So I can honestly say that I operate multiple loads on an annual basis. My position lead me through dispatching, to transportation manager...now to director. Really burned out, but enjoy trucking....just trying to see if there is truly money to be made as an owner operator as I do not want to be a company driver....done that.

6. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Thanks TugToy. I am thinking the same way

7. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Pretty difficult to find a good opportunity without some recommendations from those of you who are entrenched and can give a recommendation

8. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I’m not sure I make much more money than I did as a manager, but close? I took 6 weeks off last year though. You definitely have to have your head right or it will chew you up coming out here.

Biggest thing for me was how dirty and nasty everywhere a trucker goes and the way we are treated by shippers and recieving. Having a management background has helped a few times to get through some conflict. It also helps with knowing and understanding the finances and budgeting.

Ruthless and jamespmack Thank this.
  9. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Let’s start with where you live and type of freight you have experience with?

10. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I do pretty well for myself as an O/O leased to Landstar. They require one year recent OTR experience but I’m sure there are plenty of other options if you’re looking to lease your truck on somewhere vs. getting your own authority right from the start.

I didn’t mean to sound condescending with my first reply, so I apologize if it came across that way.

11. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I can certainly see your point. The financial side would certainly help. If I could get close, I may be inclined to begin my transition

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.