Back to trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by System76, May 30, 2023.

1. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Indeed almost always has local driver listings. I’d try there.

tscottme and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    That's actually a very well-worded description of what's currently happening (I even liked the "yadda yadda..." :p).

-- Lual

Charlie42, ducnut and JohnBoy Thank this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I don't see where you have previously tried to apply with Marten Transport:

Marten Transport -- allows pets -- more driver friendly than others

Your zip code yielded several job listings with them; & your 6 months of driving should be enough to get you in the door there.

They allow a pet in the cab--but expect to pay a pet deposit (& not sure what that will be :dontknow:).

See if you can score a dedicated account with them. That should give you fairly consistent freight & miles--to "ride out" (yes, pun intended :p) the current freight recession.

-- Lual

5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    @System76 is your name Linux-related, or just a coincidence?

6. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Maybe you should look at companies who just need a driver to drive their own trucks local? I found myself a bit skint the year I graduated from college, and took a summer job driving for an ice wholesaler, driving a reefer with a Mack daycab all around about a 200 mile radius. Certainly got me back into driving for a while, kept me busy until fall, then I took a holiday mail contract, which kept me going for another 6 weeks, until I finally found a desk job.

ducnut Thanks this.
  7. System76

System76 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2019
    I checked indeed. They always want 6-12 months experience in the last 12 months.

Just a coincidence, I am using this nickname since I was a kid. Many many years ago.

I will definitely give them a call. Thank you.

ducnut and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. System76

System76 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2019
    You are right. I am very picky about the job. Last time I was looking for truck driving job for 11 months.
    Even right now, I am not in hurry because I have office job with great benefits and its very well paid. Unfortunately, I am commuting to work one hour one way and that's really a lot and office job behind the desk/computer is so boring for me.
    I want to make at least same amount of the money that I am making now. Thats another reason why I am very picky.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Charlie42

Charlie42 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2021
    Don’t look for job openings, look for a company that does well in your area. In Washington, lots of apples. So if I were you in my state, I’d call a few Apple distributors and ask for a chance to come in and talk to someone about a job. Companies don’t post jobs until they’ve exhausted every resource within their means and no one else currently working there wants it. But most successful distributing companies always have a job opening for a CDL. Take some initiative and find a few good ones. Call or walk in to Human Resources, introduce yourself and tell them what you want to do. Might surprise yourself with something you never thought existed. My $.02

Chinatown and Jamie01 Thank this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I landed a local driving job, off Indeed, and hadn’t driven in 3yrs. It was a crappy place as far as the culture went, though. However, it got me going, again.

lual and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I'm picky too, but the excuse with reefer is that I don't like sitting at a shipper long enough to watch the lord of the rings trilogy and then expected to do split sleeper and drive all night without any sleep. Ditto at the consignee.

ducnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.