Back-up Cameras?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Six9GS, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    And I most sincerely and emphatically stress that my curiosity about back-up camera use has nothing to do with taking short-cuts or enabling inferior driving and maneuvering skills. I fully intend to become a skilled competent and versatile truck driver, those that know me can attest to such regarding my existing attitudes and capabilities in a regular auto. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I tend to not like new gadgetry in autos because it allows folks to be lesser drivers. I've driven all over the U.S. and in most European countries (lived there for 6-1/2 yrs.). I pride myself in being a good, competent and skilled driver in a POV. Absolutely no intention to waiver from that in a Commercial truck where such attributes actually become much more important. I know it will take time and lots of practice. Since 2012, when I first wanted to become truck driver, I have worked on improving my existing attentive and awareness of the driving environment in preparation for the day when I could be tooling down the road in control of a huge truck weighing up to 80,000 lbs.
    I love to drive and always have. Unsure why, I just do. Being good at that is naturally something I strive towards.
    Thank you to all who have given me input. As someone wanting to learn how to do this and do it well, the insight I've gained from your experiences that you share are so appreciated!

MartinFromBC and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My thoughts about having one on the back of the trailer, is it could easily get you in trouble looking at it instead of the mirrors. All you would see is it is clear behind you and would have to watch the sides and front of your trailer out of the mirrors too.
    I like them on 4 wheelers, but I do a lot of dirt road and mud and snow renders them useless, so basically an extra expense, most of the time.
    My neighbor has one in the exhaust stack on his pete, I don't know why. When I first noticed it, I thought he had mounted a light in it, but I walked over and sure enough it is a camera. lol

4. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    I have one on our 42 foot 5th wheel trailer. It's wide angle enough that I can see the ends of the trailer and up to 3 or 4 car lengths behind me.

Valuable for knowing when I've cleared a vehicle I'm passing, also useful when backing into a parking spot at rv parks, to see where connections, trees etc are. Wife, with radio, is also out when parking, but nice to see it myself.

While some may fixate on the video screen, to me it's just another tool to help me get safely down the road.

Lux Prometheus, Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you practice backing daily you can be competent in a month. Companies & their trainers tell newbies "backing is the most dangerous thing you will do in the truck. Never back unless you have to.

You need to learn how to correct the trailer if it's too far left and if it's to far right. Most drivers just make random steering inputs and then give up or they need 800 empty feet directly in front of the parking spot. It's possible to teach a monkey to back a trailer. Lazy people are impossible to train, but they can make excuses 24/7.

Sho Nuff, Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Back up cameras are pretty common place these days. Do a YouTube search for "backing fail". There's lots of cameras out there.

tscottme, Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When I first started to drive with my CDL I felt it was needed to have a camera. Yet after driving it became clear that a rear camera wouldnt do much good. Maybe if you own the truck. Yet company drivers have no use for that kind of frivolity.

Six9GS and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I have one in my Camaro. It's the greatest thing since cat women and sexy witch outfits.

Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    A camera positioned on the butt of the trailer? Nah. But a camera positioned on the front right side of the trailer so I can see my blindside and tell if I’m going to hit would be nice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I cant use back up cameras for ####. I always end up crooked as a 3 dollar bill. Mirrors and im fine.

I will say ive seen a few guys use drones with hover mode to keep a eye on the blind side in tight spots. Neat idea...

Six9GS, FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Lordy, I hope drones don't get to be common, I can see the backups parking now. lol

tscottme and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.