Backing a 28' trailer for my CDL test. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThatFedExGuy, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ThatFedExGuy

ThatFedExGuy Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Long story short, I have a week to use a 28' trailer for my offset and 90 degree. I seem to struggle with this as I can not find a "sweet spot" like a 53'. Any tips? Single axle tractor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Good luck, and I hope you have a short truck. Those are a pain to back up.

4. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Small adjustments and you be fine.

Good luck.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Just practice. When I did local we had one pup like that. I can put a 53 anywhere, but on occasion when I had that pup, it was a clown show lol lol.

6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Definitely small adjustments. Don't try to back like it's a 53, but more like you're on a riding lawnmower and backing that single axle cart. Matter of fact...if you don't have a riding lawnmower, see if a friend has one (and a cart) and practice with that.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Watch your axle when your backing, keep your adjustments small, go slower than you did with the 53, the 28 is going to react twice as fast, cut your speed in half it will help, Practice alot.

FlaSwampRat, x1Heavy and ThatFedExGuy Thank this.
  8. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    No rules about stopping just don't pull forward.

FlaSwampRat, x1Heavy and ThatFedExGuy Thank this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Small adjustments when you want a small turn, but huge fast ones when the trailer starts going more than you asked. Long WB and short trailer is pullup city. Like backing a log splitter behind a bus.

As was said, you will want to go very slow when the trailer is jackknifing. It is fine to stop, turn wheel, move back in a 6" spurt and look again while stationary be sure it dont get away from you. If it does your gonna kill the pullups.

ThatFedExGuy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Biggest problem I've experienced and seen is: Drivers over correcting. Be patient. Let it play out with a little correction. Learn...

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The little pup is a pain to back. Ive wrestled 20 foot seacans full of ballbearings plenty of times. Makes me looking completely nooblet gong display.

Then I realized Im so used to pushing around very big, long trailers and stick them anywhere. Then I make little wheel inputs for the pups and they go in. If it's really bad you will see me wriggle that tractor which proclaims to all the world how bad I am at this trucking thing.

A little goes a long way with a short pup.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.