backing is a breeze for me except one part.....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by darinmac38, Apr 17, 2019.

1. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    I am still in school, can back in-between two crooked trailers at a 90 degree angle, hold a 2-3 inch line on a 100 ft alley way, back between a zig zag obstacle course with precision, line it up and back down an alley. I can back a truck, with one exception, my depth perception for docking sucks. Sometimes I'll stop and be 24 inches away, the next time, I bump the dock.

Now I know in the real world, this isn't such an issue. Who cares if you lightly bump a padded dock, or get out and you're 14 inches away. But for testing in school, we got to be within 12 inches or the start adding penalty points. Bump the dock and it's game over. Any tips for judging how close you are? The instructors say to look at the pin at the rear of the trailer. Ok, great, I see it, the problem is, can't tell how close it is to the dock exactly. LOL

Any tips are appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    That’s crazy. I gently bump every dock I ever back up to, as I was trained to do!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    All I can say is good luck, and hope you get it figured out. In the real world it would not be a problem.
    I am just the opposite, I could put it with in inches for years, For some reaso I now have the same trouble you have, I don't know why but it has changed. I rarely have to bump a dock, but when I do I just ease up against it, that way I know for sure I am there. lol

5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    funny after 20yrs my depth perception sucks like that too, i still get out and think im close to a truck or trailer behind me and im like 5 feet away. i got new glasses recently, they helped some but not with the depth perception. also when im looking at my trailer at an angle backing in and the trailer is going to the right of another truck i have a hard time telling how close my trailer is to that trucks mirror looking at it from that angle. it really hasnt bothered me untill recently, its like im getting worse at backing, maybe its like an athelete after his prime on his way down, ya will go with that lol

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Stick your head out the window to get a better view. With time, you will get a good feeling of when you should bring the truck to a crawl. I always lightly bump the dock, or have the equipment bounce off the dock pads. Once I am there, I let off the clutch just a little to create some resistance, and then I set both brakes. Otherwise, your trailer will be 1-2 inches away from the dock, and it could be a problem for the forklift guys.

7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Usually, bad depth perception is due to a weakness in one eye. How's your vision? I believe there are exercises that you can try in order to improve depth perception.

8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Use one of your get out and looks and don’t worry about it.

9. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Shadows & trailer tire placement. The next time you hit it right, take time to make a mental picture. Look more at the surroundings compared to your trailer. Find something you can look at & say That’s it i’m in.

Every back is different. No two the same.

Stopping your front bumper in a 2ft box is easy, dropping the icc bar in an imaginary 2ft box is dumb. Imo anyway.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Back up until the dock stops you,,,:dontknow:

11. stylez80Nine

stylez80Nine Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2018
    I’ve killed a couple lol but for some reason I always end up with my driver side not straight lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.