Backwards forward?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RodWil, Aug 17, 2018.

1. RodWil

RodWil Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Ok so, I have been working on this truck for over 2 months for the owner & get ready to drive it yesterday and find that the rear ends are fighting each other. One turning on way & one the other.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Not sure, but on single axel, turn wheel on way the other turns opposite. Might be the same theory. I'm sure the little drive shaft is turning.

RodWil Thanks this.
  4. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    A note, I'm was referring if truck was on a jack.

RodWil Thanks this.
  5. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    And this is in the bad company thread...why???

RodWil and TB John Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes the trailer wheels will do that.

Im not sure I understand your situation with the tractor drives. In my time we had a walking beam truck and for the most part those wheels did what they have to do with the situation we were in while rock crawling on farms.

I don't think it's possible to have left drive wheels going one direction and the right wheels on the same axle going the other. It does not make sense. There are two axles inside of there driven by a large gear which itself is driven by a differential and a number of other parts.

However it is very often the trailer, if forced to spin in place the wheels will go forward on some and backwards on the other. it has no choice but to do so. You cannot really force a tractor set of tandems to do that under power. You will have to be in neutral.

And that last paragraph does not even make sense. Tractors do not pivot.

RodWil Thanks this.
  7. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Sounds like one of these axles is mounted upside-down? Seems to me that a hub driven CCW on one side would still rotate CCW facing the opposite side (hence wrong direction) with the axle upside down (flipped end-to-end). This video link would appear to substantiate that.

What happens when a differential is upside down

If not, some trucks have an option for power to the front axle. I am not sure if these would turn the opposite direction of a drive axle, or if it's even possible, but perhaps one of these rear drive axles was built with front drive axle parts?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    RodWil, d o g and TB John Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Are the axle breathers on top of both axles?

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Years ago they used to flip tractor diffs inside the case (essentially moves ring gear to other side of pinion) then set a cotton picker on them to make forward reverse. Off the top of my head I can't think of any housings that will allow a carrier to be installed backwards but I haven't seen them all either. Most of my knowledge is on antique type junk

SAR, x1Heavy and RodWil Thank this.
  11. RodWil

RodWil Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Bingo! The customer got these differentials from a big farm that tried to use Try-drive trucks out in the field. There problem was that they couldn't steer. So they pulled the front diffs out. That's what he bought & it dosdoes work. We are going to have to change the rear housing & use the same 3rd member.

Call_Me_The_Breeze and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.