Bad company won’t let me quit. Advice?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by StoneDef, Aug 22, 2020.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Yeah, I dont want to return to WE. No thankyou, they abuse drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StoneDef

StoneDef Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    Actually I think my first mistake was agreeing to work for western express. They have a really bad reputation for ####ing over their drivers. So much so that I am concerned about my DAC because I do enjoy trucking, I just hate trucking for this #### company. I don’t want to give them the opportunity to #### with future opportunities

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2020
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    They wont. thankfully their abuse ends once you leave

5. StoneDef

StoneDef Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    So from what I’m gathering, my best course of action is to deliver my current load, which is going to Michigan, then deadhead 500+ miles back to Nashville, get the truck inspected, and tell them to shove it up their chocolate starfish

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    That may or may not be true. But, in this particular situation, you made a mistake by notifying that carrier while out of your intent!

Over the last few years, I have come to realize you don't give any of the large carriers a notice. The carriers you give notice to in my opinion are the small ones that generally try to treat their drivers right. If you can don't leave these small carriers high and dry!

7. StoneDef

StoneDef Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    Definitely learned my lesson on this one. Thanks for the advice

8. StoneDef

StoneDef Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    How can I make sure the company doesn’t force a dispatch on me? Do I just tell them I’ll be refusing any and all loads?

9. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I aint #### for making a mental note of this for future reference

D.Tibbitt and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Wont let you? lol.

Assuming you are gaurenteed to be rehired at May, meaning they have you all set up for reorientation or whatever:
    Deliver whatever load your on.
    Fill up the truck with fuel.
    IGNORE any messages about your next load.
    Send them a message TELLING them you are quitting and en route to the terminal.
    Drive to the terminal ignoring any messages and phone calls they make trying to get you to stay.
    When you get to the terminal call a car rental place and rent a car for a one way trip to the city the May terminal is in (if you have too much for a plane/bus, otherwise see if May will pay for that ticket, they may also reimburse part of the car cost).
    Call a taxi to take you there and pick up the car if they don't offer pickup.
    Drive to the terminal and unload your truck.
    Walk in and tell them you are quitting, do everything that needs to be done to quit.
    Drive the car to your old job, unload it into whatever hotel May sets you up in, return the car. Do what you need to do to get rehired, bobtail to the hotel to load up the new truck.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    The Office is a masterpiece. And it's funny how it seems to apply to blue collar work also. The lingo might change a bit, the behavior is the same.

Ronald Livingston also played on Band of Brothers. He has a way of getting into a lot of underrated work.

tommymonza and spindrift Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.