Bad Economy forcing massive Police cuts

Discussion in 'Other News' started by smurf-316, Dec 2, 2008.

1. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Economy forces deep police cuts

Mass home foreclosures stoke crime fears

Kevin Johnson - Oct. 19, 2008 12:00 AM
    USA Today

The collapse of U.S. financial markets is forcing deep cuts in local police agencies and stoking fears among police chiefs that mass home foreclosures are bringing more crime to suburbs.
    Problems created by the financial meltdown are starting to touch everything from police response times to unsolved crimes.
    "As we see significant reductions, we'll be seeing increased response times, fewer cases solved and reduced services for victims of crime," says Police Chief Charlie Deane of Prince William County, Va. His $73 million budget could drop up to 30 percent next year because of declining property tax revenues.

Blocks of homes vacant from foreclosures are becoming magnets nationwide for gang members, drug users, prostitutes and thieves, who steal appliances and fixtures, Deane and other officers say.
    At the same time, police agencies are dramatically reducing their forces as local governments struggle to allocate shrinking revenue from property and sales taxes to fund basic services.

"In this crisis, there are no good answers," says Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel, who is slashing 200 positions and may need to cut more.
    In a survey of 180 police chiefs released last week by the Police Executive Research Forum, 45 percent said the economy had impacted their agency's "ability to reduce crime."
    Three-quarters of those polled by the law-enforcement advisory group in late July cited a recent rise in at least one category of property crimes. Nearly 40 percent said the slowdown had resulted in decreased funding.
    Cook County, Ill., Sheriff Thomas Dart has cut 200 jobs in two years because of falling revenues.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis says falling revenues have moved a plan to install 36 surveillance cameras in high-crime zones "off the table."
    "We see this as just the first in a long series of reductions," Davis says. "It's hard to say how this is all gonna shake out. This is a time for real concern."

It's not only a big city problem. Small towns are also starting to feel the pinch.
    In the small town of Lexington North Carolina Police Chief James Grossy say's he is facing budget short falls in his department as well. The town has a population of over 45,000 with 46 full and part time police officers to meet the towns enforcement needs. However with city tax revenue in sharp decline Grossy says he has no choice but to cut 7 full time and 4 part time officers from the departments payroll.
    "We really need these officers out there fighting crime and patrolling the streets to keep our city safe,'' says Grossy. But how can I do it if we don't have the money to pay them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Isn't it strange that we can send BILLIONS over sea's for almost any cause but we can't build a #### prison or pay police officers to keep ourselves and our children safe?

:biggrin_25510:

Wen782 Thanks this.
  4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Ya, this right here is pretty scary!

So, we take matters into our own hands protecting our families and end up in prison..........sigh:biggrin_25512:

5. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    With fewer police officers to fight crime,
    it's obvious we need increased and stricter
    gun control laws, to prevent crime and keep
    citizens safe. :geek:

6. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    But the average citizen who is armed can protect them selves
    Thus needing less police

7. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I don't see how MORE Gun Control Laws can prevent crime.

The Criminals are going to get GUNS one way or another.

Besides, there are other items that can be used as weapons that have caused death and harm to innocent bystanders.

More laws upon laws does not solve anything.

Baack Thanks this.
  8. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina

You got that right!

Not more laws....more prisons!

We could afford to pay cops and build prisons if we didn't send every #### cent we get to some foreign country who don't give a #### about us to begin with.

Cybergal Thanks this.
  9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    So what we have here, is the same old same old. Instead of cutting spending at levels such as the mayor's or city council's overpaid and under worked staff, they cut basic services. Police and Fire seem to always take a hit.

And then there is the misuse of resources. All this money spent on "the drug war" etc. Do we really need to keep the MJ user in jail, and cut the sentence down on violent offenders because of "overcrowding?"

Do the administrators of law enforcement agencies really need to have a "personal staff" of overpaid do nothings, or can that money be better spent on line officers and first responders. Does the sheriff really need to have that new unmarked four wheel drive rig that he can take hunting every year? Or should we buy a new patrol car, or maybe just fix up the ones that we have that are unsafe to be on the road?

Do the Chief, Asst. Chief, and all Deputy Chiefs really need to have a sworn peace officer as a driver? Can't they drive themselves around, and put those chauffeurs back as line officers? Oh wait, these are all plum jobs for the buddies of the administration.

How about the departments that are squandering their resources in having sworn peace officers doing jobs that are just as well done by civilian personnel? Jobs such as clerking, dispatching, and many custodial positions. Get these folks back on the streets where they belong, hire and train civilians for these "non safety" jobs, instead of having highly trained officers doing them.

The true waste is usually at the top! And it will never change.

Cybergal and AfterShock Thank this.
  10. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    I agree Big Don.
    We had the famous Sheriff Hege here in Davidson county N.C. (before he went to jail of course) who spent $60K on his Chevy Caprice Spider car. At a fair one day he was bragging about the $4,000 Alpine stereo system he just had installed in the Spider car. When I called him out and ask him what the hell a $4,000 stereo had to do with law enforcement, He looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    I'm thinkin' that the police unions wouldn't agree with you, Baack. :biggrin_25512:
    They're tellin' us that we need MORE police protection provided by MORE police officers. Funny thing is, the MORE we have, it seems the MORE we need.
    Go figure.

Better that they make the "average citizen" a criminal for protecting themselves from the desperados the police don't seem able to catch.
    Then, when all the "average citizens" are incarcerated, they'll realize the protection they are entitled to, --- as the bad guys will be on the OUTside, lookin' in, ........... and probably laughin'.

Personally, I'd settle for more BULLETS.
    And 30 round clips.

That'd eliminate the need for more prisons.
    But I doubt the Prison Guard Union members would agree that taking away their, ....... uhhhhhh, ....... customers, would be in the best interest of THEIR business, .......... which is warehousing people, ---- at tax-payer expense.
    Prison time = OVERtime.
    ChA-CHING!
    Follow the Money Trail.

Y'all ever get the feelin' that we're bein' held hostage?
    Maybe blackmaled?

Believe it or else, before I moved to the town where I now live, the city police actually went on strike.
    YuP!
    They wanted higher pay and more benefits, even though they knew what those things were BEFORE they agreed to
    Serve & Protect.
    And it was splashed ALL over the news.
    LOCAL CITY POLICE ON STRIKE.
    Guess what happened?

Who said the crimes increased BIG time?
    You're correct.
    Up against the wall, average citizen!
    And BEND OVER.
    Y'all have the right to remain silent.

As the bad guys plunder your homes and businesses.

HELLO? POLICE?!!!!

I'm sorry, the number you have reached is not in service.
    If you think this is in error, please stay on the line,
    but don't expect anyone to help you.

Support your local police.
    But don't expect them to support you.

Of COURSE we do, Big D!
    If YOU were a prison guard, who would YOU prefer to "guard"?
    A violent gang member who would like nothing better than to slit your throat, or stick a shank betwixt your ribs ---- or a non-violent, recreational pot smoker who will just sit there quietly and do their time?
    No brainer.

Not to mention that the guards can make bank by smuggling in marijuana, and other necessities, to subsidize their paltry paychecks sellin' pot to a, .......
    shall we say
    "captive" audience?

I reckon that depends on what their objective(s) is/are.
    Sure he does!
    He can claim he's "hunting" for marijuana farms, and just happend to bag a trophy game animal while on duty.
    Is that a trick question?

YeS!
    They DO.
    Even Chiefs need police protection,
    doncha know.
    I think you've answered your own question.

YeAH, But ---- can the police REALLY trust civilians? Aren't civilians considered the enemy?
    Bet real, Big D.
    But would civilians be likely to subscribe to the brotherhood of police? I mean, could civilians be trusted not to blow the police whistle when they discover misconduct within the ranks of sworn officers?
    Civilians might actually believe in honor and respect for the law.
    They'd be labeled "misfits" and/or "malcontents" --- trouble makers, and be subject to the wrath of the sworn, anointed officers, who have a badge to hide behind.
    Hmmmmmmmm
    Would those trained civilians be paid the same, or less, than their sworn counterparts?

And we all know which way that "waste" runs, right?
    For those who don't --- it's DOWN hill. Usually without a Jake, and the brakes are smokin'.

For an interesting read, google Sheriff Carona, Orange County, California.
    That 'servent' went from the penthouse to the outhouse.
    Of course, he claims he's innocent.
    Butt, I'm thinkin' the final decision will be made by the inmates his office made guests of the State.
    And I'm sure they'll make it clear who the Top Dawg is on their side of the law.
    Ya reckon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.