Bad Fuel ???

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by 2xR, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    This past Saturday morning I filled my tanks at the Pilot in Nitro, WV. It was about 15 cents higher than the stops over in Wytheville, VA , but I was running low, plus I needed to keep my Pilot reward card active. Until this point the truck was running fine.

By the time I'd drove to Beckley my empty truck was pulling the hills like it was grossed out. I was having to drop two gears on the hills that I usually zip right over. The engine, an '04 Cummins ISX, was running nice and smooth, but had lost 30-40% power. The "Check Engine ECU At Next Stop" warning kept flashing on as well.

I did a visual check on the fuel filter and I'm a long way from hitting the red "change me" line.

Did I purchase some bad fuel from the Pilot? Is this a reaction to the new ULSD on this older engine? Do I have some other problem and the timing of the fuel stop is pure coincidence? Pilot fuel usually runs okay.

2xR hopes the wheel barrow mechanics at the Ryder shop get lucky with this little problem. :smt025

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    maybe it IS the L.S.D. i thought only NEWER engines had this problem. i really don't know much about it at this point.
    hopefully it won't keep you off the road long!!

4. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    If your check engine light was on, that is the reason for the decrease in power. The computer on most highway diesel engines will derate power when the check engine light is on to keep the engine from damaging itself. I know the early ISX engines had problems with the EGR valve. Hope this helps.

5. iloveswift

iloveswift Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2007
    you know the funny thing is i have an isx as well with the same problem i think its the ulsd

6. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    Pilot is off the hook.

It was a bad cam input sensor, or position sensor, anyway, it was a sensor that has something to do with the cams. Replaced it, cleared the ECU codes, and all is well. Yea Ryder!!:smt026

The EGR has gone out twice on this engine. Nasty!! I've read that the Freightshakers will gas the driver when the EGR goes out. They pump Carbonmonoxide directly into the cabin. :sleepy5: 2xR is glad to drive a Volvo.

7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    these new engines have sooo many sensors it ain't funny. cam pos. sensor, crank pos. sensor mass airflow sensor. intake air temp sensor, just to name a FEW.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.