Bad hopping when backing up, is it me or a problem with the truck?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Yeah same hear the Paccar auto's don't like reverse, you have to learn to feather the throttle, even with a full size trailer its tough, the freightline 12 speed works very well. Why go to a heavy haul setup for pulling a travel trailer. Just does make sense.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Like the setup.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Wow with a rig like that you sure must have lots of cash to pay for all that fuel you'd be burning! Sounds to me like to high a ratio diff and its way to fast of reverse gear

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Someone probably installed ceramic discs. They are on or off—there is no slipping them.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Just practice easing the clutch. And sweet ride. That's a true Pete before they turned to crap.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  7. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy aussiejosh,

I am retired, got nothing better to do with my money then burn diesel fuel, someone has to prevent the planet from freezing and going into the next ice age.

I towed a smaller trailer for years with a hopped up Dodge One ton dually, NEVER got more then 6.5mpg and was constantly burning up transmissions and tires not to mention it wasn't comfortable to drive. On my last trip with the Pete I averaged 7.9mpg and had to slow down for the curves going up Cabbage Hill yet topped the grade at 75mph, sounds like a very good combination to me.

The Pete, has the same axle ratio as my Freigthshaker had, 3.55:1, its not the gear ratio its a completely different feel to the clutch. Reverse is lower in the Pete's 18 speed then it was in the 10 speed the Shaker had, its not the gear ratio, again in my opinion its the feel of the clutch there is very little slippage its either in or out, the Shaker clutch was very easy to modulate I don't think the clutch inthe Shaker was rated as high as the one in the Pete, the Shaker had 430 HP the Pete has 550 so I am thinking the Pete has a much stronger clutch. I think a lot of it may be the way the clutch linkage in the Pete goes through the floor and operates through a bunch of bell-cranks.

Dave

spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. Mr. Cob

Howdy lilili..............,

I never thought of that, you may be right. I used to use a ceramic disk in the car I raced on the drag strip MANY years ago, the hotter that disk got the better it gripped and like you said no slippage.

Dave

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Check the motor mounts just for the sake of it. I am kinda leaning toward a pressure plate problem. I have seen reman clutches do that. I prefer genuine Eaton new clutches when the time comes

Mr. Cob and lilillill Thank this.
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Oldironfan,

Thanks, it is a sweet ride, needs some more chicken lights and chrome but that will come later I just finished building the Smart Car, deck. This truck has a 6NZ engine so its truly one of the last good Cat's to be built before they ###### them up with all the pollution crap. I am working on easing that clutch out but its a lot stronger then the one in the Shaker so getting used to is may take a while.

Dave

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. Mr. Cob

Howdy wore out,

I checked the engine mounts, the transmission mount, u-joints, and axle pivot points all is well. I thought maybe the clutch disks were contaminated, dropped the inspection cover and looked inside, no oil leaks, no visible sign of anything wrong, it could be broken dampner springs in the clutch disks but I doubt it. There is no shudder during shifts or slippage when pulling grades, just a very narrow band where the clutch can be slipped when first starting out but mainly when just starting to back up, once your moving backwards with the clutch completely out, no problem.

Dave

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.