Bad news for manual lovers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wyldhorses, May 21, 2014.

1. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Of what value does that statement provide? Automatics are everywhere, why would it just be limited to Swift trucks getting stuck? Do you see other trucks getting stuck?

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Getting stuck with an automatic empty or light? Either you have never been in the snow, or you seriously don't have a clue. It happens ALL the time in snow and ice.... AND it doesn't take much, 3 to 4 inches of snow with a little ice... and the wheels are spinning.

OK, so why don't manuals have this trouble?

2Girls_1Truck and mje Thank this.
  4. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    The reason behind this is that SWIFT and Orange Yellow Brown and everyone else can save money when buying the tractor new! This saves a bunch of money so they can cut the rates that you and I won't touch now.

mje and wyldhorses Thank this.
  5. ChefBrianN

ChefBrianN Light Load Member

May 10, 2014
    Michigan and Colorado
    I'm a little curious, other than my personal Chevy pick up truck and a few cars over the years, I have never driven an automatic. How do these trucks know when to downshift according to your weight or road conditions? For example, let's say you are eastbound on I-70 just past the Eisenhower tunnel and you are descending down into Denver. (I use this stretch of road as an example because I almost bought the farm there one time near Georgetown when I came around a turn and there was a guy going 15 mph hauling a load of hay bales and I honestly thought I was going to die that day) Are you still using a jake? How does your transmission know what kind of weight you are pulling and do you still manually downshift?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm just getting back into driving and when I drove in the 80's, the only I guy I knew that had an auto drove a straight truck to deliver beer with and he hated it.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    mje Thanks this.
  6. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    The simple answer is, they don't. That is why they are so dangerous on ice. A friend, with 2 million plus under his belt is now in an automatic. He has pointed out that on ice it takes every bit of skill(experience) he has at times to keep the shiny side up... and avoid getting stuck. He only got stuck twice this winter, others in his company were not this fortunate.

7. ChefBrianN

ChefBrianN Light Load Member

May 10, 2014
    Michigan and Colorado
    Thanks...that kinda what I thought. Sorry...I said manual in my first post...meant auto.

8. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Yeah, I knew what you meant. The mere thought of having a bunch if new drivers with automatics in the winter wonderland, is a best scary.

ChefBrianN Thanks this.
  9. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    automatics in trucks,
    that ain't trucking

10. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I resent comments like that sometimes, there are some decent swifties out there....I said some!
    at least I wont have to deal with autos for a long time if ever.

wyldhorses and TruckDuo Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If comments like that bother you then you need to grow thicker skin.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.